Apple TV

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I think apple needs to come out with a TV that works like a normal TV, but also has frontrow that syncs with your mac over wifi. HP recently released something kind of like that for PCs (http://news.com.com/2300-1041_3-6018049-1.html?tag=nl). I just think it would be cool to be channel surfing, then decide that i want to watch a show i downloaded from iTunes, so I press the button on my remote and Frontrow Fades in with the same effect it has on OS X. A couple different sizes, styled like the apple displays or something new. i'd gladly pay $1,999 for a 22 inch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Yeah that would be cool, but then downloading things trhough iTunes, etc, would have to be very high quality to fit a big screen and then it would take a long time to download those things.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by playcrackthesky

Yeah that would be cool, but then downloading things trhough iTunes, etc, would have to be very high quality to fit a big screen and then it would take a long time to download those things.

Yeah, but most people watch that big of TV at a distance, if it would look anything like what it looks like when i hook my iPod up to my TV, i'd be satisfied. From 7 feet away it looks as good as a Standard Def tv broadcast (on a 22 inch tv).
  • Reply 3 of 17
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvolker

Yeah, but most people watch that big of TV at a distance, if it would look anything like what it looks like when i hook my iPod up to my TV, i'd be satisfied. From 7 feet away it looks as good as a Standard Def tv broadcast (on a 22 inch tv).

You need glasses, iPod format is worse than that, noticeably worse in my eyes, with my eyes. Apple making a TV, I hope they do. I have mentioned this before, let's hope they do this.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    i have glasses =) guess i'm just not as picky with quality. Watching Lost from my iPod hooked into my TV was a good experience. I know the iPod format is worse than standard def, but from standard viewing distance, the quality is perfectly fine (from my experience).
  • Reply 5 of 17
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I am more picky than you for reasons both of us have stated, but a lot more people are picky too when it comes to watching something that's a lesser quality than regular TV. If Apple makes a TV, which I suspect could be a while away, I hope they do something good.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Rolo...? Is that you?
  • Reply 7 of 17
    well yeah. I would hope for really good quality (maybe 720p), but i would still buy the TV if it just streamed what you already had on your computer. it would be like watching a video in frontrow on a 20" iMac. if Apple does improve the quality of the downloads, i'd expect it to be primarily for the full length movies that will someday be available. even if they don't up the quality of iTMS videos, still worth buying for the frontrow music experience.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kishan

Rolo...? Is that you?

beat me to it...
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Why not just use the old Macintosh TV of time past. With a major amount of haxoring, Mac OS X will probably run on it.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvolker

I think apple needs to come out with a TV that works like a normal TV, but also has frontrow that syncs with your mac over wifi.

No. they need to release something that connects to any TV - basically a Frontrow Extender or AirPort Express AV.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Apple hates TV and games. Apples are not toys, in spite of the fact that they look like this:

• Reply 12 of 17
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slughead

Apple hates TV and games. Apples are not toys, in spite of the fact that they look like this:

TV== BAD FOR YOUR BRAIN CELLS!

Go read a book, people!

• Reply 13 of 17
    From an investment stand point it would be great. If apple could release a tv with a 1tb harddrive and be sign all of the deals with movie companies it would be great. Think a bout it if you could download every movie ever for like $5 or $10. Everyone would want that tv.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by halfassed

From an investment stand point it would be great. If apple could release a tv with a 1tb harddrive and be sign all of the deals with movie companies it would be great. Think a bout it if you could download every movie ever for like $5 or $10. Everyone would want that tv.

Not if that TV's HD crashed... and I wouldn't think of paying more than a rental fee for an all-digital download. If I end up buying a movie, I want the extended cut version with all the cool extra features and printed materials.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    If Apple were to make a TV, it would have to be somehow different and unique from the other products on the market. Front Row alone wouldn't be enough. It would have to be as significant an improvement as the first iPod was over the early MP3 players.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash

TV== BAD FOR YOUR BRAIN CELLS!

Go read a book, people!

Yeah, so much so that they offer entire TV series for sale on the iTunes Music Store and by all accounts will offer full movies for download in the not too distant future.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PeePeeSee

Yeah, so much so that they offer entire TV series for sale on the iTunes Music Store and by all accounts will offer full movies for download in the not too distant future.

Damn capitalism. Getting the better of Steve's judgement.