Kiler idea for Leopard: Working FTP

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
C'mon Apple. 5th time is the charm!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Jeez man, think big. A new Finder is the way to go! We'd get FTP, plus a Finder that - little tear - is actually usable.

Yeah, who am I kidding. I'd settle for working FTP/network in the Finder as well.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Why do you want Apple to put Peter Lewis's Interarchy out of business? If you don't want to pay for this excellent app, read/write FTP is available at the commandline.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me

Why do you want Apple to put Peter Lewis's Interarchy out of business? If you don't want to pay for this excellent app, read/write FTP is available at the commandline.

Transmit by Panic ( http://www.panic.com ) is better.

I'd rather have a real FTP program in the finder though.

I mean, MICROSOFT has one in WINDOWS 2000. (Let the 'oh snaps' begin)

We shouldn't have to pay for one, this protocol is decades old.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slughead

Transmit by Panic ( http://www.panic.com ) is better.

I'd rather have a real FTP program in the finder though.

Cyberduck is also a good ftp program.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slughead

But, Microsoft does not have FTP in its newer Windows XP Pro. (Let the 'oh snaps' end)

And to repeat my previous post, the equivalent of full-fledged Finder-integrated FTP is available from longstanding and very loyal Mac developer Peter Lewis. In fact, Interarchy has allowed users to mount FTP sites on their desktops since MacOS 9--or was it MacOS 8? Unless Apple pays Lewis a license fee, it would be cruel to put him out of business.

With Interarchy, you do not pay for the protocol, you pay for the GUI. Commandline FTP is a part of the OS. And, you certainly don't even have to pay to get GUI-based FTP read/write access on MacOS X. As a student, the fantastic Fetch client is free to you. The even better CyberDuck client is also free. You can find numerous other FTP clients, servers, and support utilities here.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me

But, Microsoft does not have FTP in its newer Windows XP Pro.

Sure it does.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    mox358mox358 Posts: 21member
    And even if they do add full FTP to the finder, they can watch as I keep using Transmit. Just cuz its there and Apple makes it doesn't mean its the best.

I agree that there are too many great FTP clients for the Mac already to waste time doing this when the Finder has more serious problems, not to mention all the other things Apple is doing with Leopard.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    I wub Transmit.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    i like Fetch FTP. Very apple-scriptable and free for students (though it is certainly worth $20)
  • Reply 10 of 16
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Scripting Fetch is very cool.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Personally, I don't think ftp support should be added to the Finder. I imagine it represents quite a lot of code (bloat) for a feature most people will not use and those who need it (web developers) are likely to have access to a dedicated and more powerful FTP program.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    No, it isn't a bloat problem at all. It is solely a matter of someone writing a better mount_ftp program.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

No, it isn't a bloat problem at all. It is solely a matter of someone writing a better mount_ftp program.

I think it is even worse than that. They just need to use the open source version of mount_ftp. Apple's mount_ftp purposely disabled the write functionality.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    If it's that simple, why doesn't anyone compile a different mount_ftp and use that?
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

If it's that simple, why doesn't anyone compile a different mount_ftp and use that?

My bad, I thought that mount_ftp was universal across all UNIXes, and instead it is only for OS X. There is a project called FUSE in the open source arena that does exactly what we are talking about, I just do not know if there is a version for OS X yet.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    FTP actually working in Finder would just make sense. I mean why do something halfass? Do it right or don't do bother.