PB -> MBP upgrade options (esp re:ram!)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
hey, all!

wanted to get some opinions on my current upgrade situation. i currently have;

12" powerbook g4 1.5ghz with a 1gb kingston memory stick purchased from Outpost + applecare valid until spring 2008

i am planning to upgrade sometime early next year as i'm waiting for the next models and native instruments universal binaries and probably leopard too. i would like to get:

15" macbook pro with possibly 2gb + applecare

i think i've got a lot of options here, especially regarding the memory. i know if i want to go for 2gb it would make sense to have a matched pair of memory sticks, so it seems like it might make sense to order the MBP with the minimum memory from apple, ditch that and get another 1gb stick from outpost. i still have my original 512mb powerbook stick so i could stick that in my 12" and sell it on ebay or somewhere.

so does this sound like a plan? is my current 1gb stick likely to be compatible with the MBP? what price do you think i might get for my PB in 4 or so months on ebay (512mb memory + one year on applecare remaining)?

i'm also wondering what the process is for transfering an applecare when you sell a computer 2nd hand. i'm assuming it's possible - would really if you couldn't!

thanks in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyboy

is my current 1gb stick likely to be compatible with the MBP?

No, and even if it were, it'd needlessly slow your other stick down.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

No, and even if it were, it'd needlessly slow your other stick down.

right... thought as much. so seems like keep the 1gb in my old PB and use it to bump up the value...

i wonder if it would work out economically to order the MBP with just 512mb and then ditch that stick and buy 2 1gb sticks from outpost or somewhere... i think it probably would!

any thoughts on the other Qs?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyboy

i wonder if it would work out economically to order the MBP with just 512mb and then ditch that stick and buy 2 1gb sticks from outpost or somewhere... i think it probably would!

Yes, not to mention you'll have a backup stick.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Yes, not to mention you'll have a backup stick.

i can't imagine how a backup stick would benefit me.... surely if either of the outpost sticks were defective i would just claim back on warranty?

i'm definitely keen to know about the applecare transfer situation