Pimp my Mac Pro

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
So I have one of those x1900xt Mac Pros backordered, and since there are rumors that we may see them in the next two weeks or so (instead of my current Sept 21st ship date), I thought I ought to get on buying the other stuff for it. I'd like some advice on what people think I should get to "Pimp my Mac Pro".

I currently have an absolute maximum of $1200 to spend, more realistically about $1000. I am a college student, majoring in computer science. I live in an apartment, and I have my own room in a 4-bedroom apartment.

RAM - I'm getting a 2 x 1GB kit from Crucial - $440.

EyeTV - I want to have a TV/PVR, so I'm planning to get an EyeTV EZ. That's $150.

Monitor - I want to be able to watch said TV while lying in my bed, approximately 12-14 feet away from my desk. Is this remotely feasible with a 20 inch widescreen monitor? I can't spend more than $300 on a monitor. I'm looking at the Samsung 205BW on Newegg (it looks freaking sweet).

Hard Drives - Here's my real question. I am getting the 160GB included drive, because I planned on buying at least one additional drive. I want at least one drive for Windows/Linux, and one for OS X. Should I:

a) Grab a 250 GB HDD off Newegg, use that for OS X, and the 160 GB one for Windows (Cost: $80)

b) Grab two 160 GB drives, and RAID 0 two drives into an OS X drive, and have 160 GB for Windows (Cost $160)

c) Grab a 150 GB Raptor off Newegg, split it between OS X and Windows, and split the 160 GB drive into OS X and Windows storage partitions? (Cost: $200ish)

Thanks for any advice/help/comments, and...

OMG Mac Pro OMG!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    igrantigrant Posts: 180member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

So I have one of those x1900xt Mac Pros backordered, and since there are rumors that we may see them in the next two weeks or so (instead of my current Sept 21st ship date), I thought I ought to get on buying the other stuff for it. I'd like some advice on what people think I should get to "Pimp my Mac Pro".

I currently have an absolute maximum of $1200 to spend, more realistically about $1000. I am a college student, majoring in computer science. I live in an apartment, and I have my own room in a 4-bedroom apartment.

RAM - I'm getting a 2 x 1GB kit from Crucial the minute they start selling them. That's in about a week or two. OWC is too expensive. I bet that will run about $350 or $400 from Crucial.

EyeTV - I want to have a TV/PVR, so I'm planning to get an EyeTV EZ. That's $150.

Monitor - I want to be able to watch said TV while lying in my bed, approximately 12-14 feet away from my desk. Is this remotely feasible with a 20 inch widescreen monitor? I can't spend more than $300 or $350 on a monitor. I'm looking at the Samsung 205BW on Newegg (it looks freaking sweet).

Hard Drives - Here's my real question. I am getting the 160GB included drive, because I planned on buying at least one additional drive. I want at least one drive for Windows/Linux, and one for OS X. Should I:

a) Grab a 250 GB HDD off Newegg, use that for OS X, and the 160 GB one for Windows (Cost: $80)

b) Grab two 160 GB drives, and RAID 0 two drives into an OS X drive, and have 160 GB for Windows (Cost $160)

c) Grab a 150 GB Raptor off Newegg, split it between OS X and Windows, and split the 160 GB drive into OS X and Windows storage partitions? (Cost: $200ish)

Thanks for any advice/help/comments, and...

OMG Mac Pro OMG!!!

Geez I'm a computer science student and I do not nearly have that much money, I mean dang. Anywars I would go with A for the hard drive options, I think that will work the best for you.

-iGrant
  • Reply 2 of 10
    I have semi-rich grandparents. They paid for half the cost of the Mac Pro. And I worked MY ASS OFF this summer to afford it.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Quote:

I have semi-rich grandparents. They paid for half the cost of the Mac Pro. And I worked MY ASS OFF this summer to afford it.

Will Grandma and Grandpa Pruckowski adopt me?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    It is money into an educational trust fund (a total of about $35,000), and I managed to get about $1800 out of it for the computer.

Now, less talk, more advice
  • Reply 5 of 10
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Why not kill eyeTV and instead get a Dell or NEC monitor that supports picture-in-picture cable TV?

I, again, highly recommend my NEC 20WMGX2 widescreen.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    I want the PVR capabilities. I'm generally gone in the evenings (this is college), and I like the idea of catching shows I missed.

And that widescreen is about twice as expensive a monitor as I can afford
  • Reply 7 of 10
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    I notice in your hard drive plans, you have no backup drive in any of them. I'd get another 160, do the RAID 0 thing, but I'd add a third drive (250'd probably do it for a while ) to run auto-backups to. Your odds of a RAID 0 crapping out are twice as high, so I wouldn't run one without a good backup plan.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    I have an 80 GB external drive already. I was going to just save important projects on that. I have another computer, so at worst, I reinstall OS X, run updates, install my apps from the net, and move the files back onto the computer from the external. I also plan to get another external when I can afford it (winter maybe)
  • Reply 9 of 10
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Quote:

I have an 80 GB external drive already. I was going to just save important projects on that. I have another computer, so at worst, I reinstall OS X, run updates, install my apps from the net, and move the files back onto the computer from the external. I also plan to get another external when I can afford it (winter maybe)

So long as you're thinking about it, then. I'd go with plan B.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

Why not kill eyeTV and instead get a Dell or NEC monitor that supports picture-in-picture cable TV?

I, again, highly recommend my NEC 20WMGX2 widescreen.

Unless you need component or DVI/HDMI in, eyeTV is better in many ways because a monitor still doesn't solve the tuner issue, and the space issue for needing large external components. The PVR feature is very nice too, and will automatically export recordings to iPod if you like. I'd go with the eyeTV Hybrid though if you live in an ATSC country.

But more to this thread, PVR use needs a lot of space to keep recordings. I'd opt for the means that gives you more space.