Hard Drive for iMac G5

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Can anyone tell me what hard drive will work in my iMac G5 1.6 REV A, as I want to upgrade the 80GB.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imac600mhz

Can anyone tell me what hard drive will work in my iMac G5 1.6 REV A, as I want to upgrade the 80GB.

Thanks in advance

All serial ATA (S-ATA) HDDs will work, although the smallest that the model came with were already 80gb.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/ima..._harddrive.pdf

-t
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tag Me Back

All serial ATA (S-ATA) HDDs will work, although the smallest that the model came with were already 80gb.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/ima..._harddrive.pdf

-t

He said upgrade the 80 GB, not upgrade to 80 GB.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat

He said upgrade the 80 GB, not upgrade to 80 GB.

Meh, noone reads these things anyway. Not even me.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Meh, noone reads these things anyway. Not even me.

Cheers, Ive got my new drive, installed it, Mac formatted it but it wont allow me to install OSX any ideas?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

Cheers, Ive got my new drive, installed it, Mac formatted it but it wont allow me to install OSX any ideas?

Where does the install fail, what does it say?

-t
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Where does the install fail, what does it say?

-t

Well when I first booted up off the CD and tried to select the drive to install OSX nothing was appearing. So I went to disk utility and erased the disk and formatted it Mac OSX Extended (Journaled). The disk then appeared in the select where you want to intall OSX bit, but when you select the drive it comes up with cannot install OSX on this drive with a red cross on it I think.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Well when I first booted up off the CD and tried to select the drive to install OSX nothing was appearing. So I went to disk utility and erased the disk and formatted it Mac OSX Extended (Journaled). The disk then appeared in the select where you want to intall OSX bit, but when you select the drive it comes up with cannot install OSX on this drive with a red cross on it I think.

Strange. Try repartitioning the drive... sorry haven't seen this before.

-t
  • Reply 8 of 9
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Open Console in the Utilities folder and see if there are any errors there.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy

Open Console in the Utilities folder and see if there are any errors there.

I cant get to the Console from booting off the CD can I?