multiple parallels - nifty tip for multiple networked instances

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've been using parallels quite a bit now, one instance with windows server 2003 with sql server 2005 as a database server and another instance for .NET development...works pretty good, but i do have to bump the ram down a little since i only have 2gb total and I don't want to starve OS X too much. I usually run a single instance with 800mb ram, but with two going, one gets 512mb. 800mb seems to be the real sweet spot but 512 for a simple sql server is fine.

anyway, for the tip I have.... starting the second instance of parallels is pretty easy, just navigate to the Parallels.app and right click to "show package contents", click the folder Contents, click open MacOS and drag it into a terminal window and press enter, that starts a second version running....that's fine and dandy, you probably knew that. The real tip is sharing your single Parallels network adapter. On the second one, before you start up windows (or other OS), click the link 'Network Adapter' and then 'Advanced'....change the last digit of the MAC Address to a different number.

This was the only way I was able to get both of them to work and get a DHCP address and both get networking. Otherwise they'd share the same IP (because they had the same MAC) and one would not work at all.

Thought I'd share in case someone else could use this. As another tip I always use the application Virtue so that i can quickly OS switch while developing...very nice. Love this macbook!