Macbook freezing when using Word

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi,

I recently bought a Macbook having previously always used PC. I was told that Apples never freeze, but I've been having alot of bad luck with mine. For example, when I use Word, often it shuts down unexpectedly without warning, and after it shuts down I get a window that says the program has shut down expectedly and gives me an option of restarting it. Today it happened when I was trying to change my style templates in the formatting palette.. and happened at least three times.

Also sometimes it freezes when i'm using other applications.

I was wondering if you guys had any ideas what it could be? do i need to install some anti virus software etc?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Sounds like a Rosetta issue...

How much RAM do you have?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    no matter what you are using, mac os x, linux, deffinently windows, it will always freeze. but it does happen hardly at all. just thought i would clear that up.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Hi,

This problem of freezing and Office:Mac on the MacBook is a major worry of mine right now!

I am about to buy a MacBook Pro 17" and will be getting MS Office for Mac 2004. I am just about to start the most important year of my life at uni (4th year/honours) and need Word to run like clock work for essays and my dissertation. Will I live to regret buying a Mac and doing my work on it in Office:Mac. How much should I worry about this? At this rate I'll be saving every 30 seconds worrying about losing any essay!

i have read way too many posts all over the place about such problems. I obviously cannot wait for the native Office:Mac in 2007

TS
  • Reply 4 of 13
    This sounds like a general issue with the topic starters macbook! She has the freezing also with other programs.

I would take it back to the store and/or call apple support!

Office for Mac runs just perfect on my iMac, btw, and I never have any issues with it "freezing".
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MissIndecisive

Hi,

I recently bought a Macbook having previously always used PC. I was told that Apples never freeze, but I've been having alot of bad luck with mine. For example, when I use Word, often it shuts down unexpectedly without warning, and after it shuts down I get a window that says the program has shut down expectedly and gives me an option of restarting it. Today it happened when I was trying to change my style templates in the formatting palette.. and happened at least three times.

Also sometimes it freezes when i'm using other applications.

I was wondering if you guys had any ideas what it could be? do i need to install some anti virus software etc?

My MacBook also slows down at times, particularly using Firefox, but also MSWord (with the little wheel turning for many long second during the freeze, and then back to normal). It disappointing that 1 GB of memory don't seem to handle even a handful applications opened in the same time.

Are we supposed to get the full 2 GB for working in peace on a MacBook??
  • Reply 6 of 13
    I have a MacBook at work with 1GB memory and MS Office 2004. It has never frozen on me. It can be a bit slow at times, which isn't surprising due to the emulation. But it's perfectly usable. I only use it for collaboration with Windows users, otherwise I prefer Pages.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    'not surprising due to the emulation'

what do you mean
  • Reply 8 of 13
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fredm

'not surprising due to the emulation'

what do you mean

Since MS Word is currently PowerPC-only, it needs to run through Rosetta emulation, which is somewhat heavy on RAM.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    photoshop is a bit jumpy at times too when there are a large number of layers, e.g. more than 15, but ive never had it freeze. (im running it on a stock macbook 1.83ghz)
  • Reply 10 of 13
    I mean MS Office is not a Universal Binary, so running it on a MacBook requires Rosetta emulation. Once Microsoft releases a UB I expect the performance to improve significantly. I don't know if that's going to be an update to 2004 or if it will only come with 2007.

I should also note that I have not used MS Office for Mac on a Power PC, so I am not drawing a comparison there. It just feels slow on my MacBook.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    My experience with Word v.X under Rosetta is that Rosetta faithfully emulates every bug, tic and crash in Word, just like it were running native on a PPC.

Word for Mac sucks. Always has (since 5.1, anyway) and probably always will. It's the single most buggy piece of software from a major developer I use. Combine it with EndNote and it's evern worse. But the combo is, to my continuing dismay, irreplacable. At any rate, I find it no worse, and no better, run under Rosetta.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Have you loaded all the MSOffice updates? There were some problems in the past that MS corrected. But you need to have the updates.

And are you running Entourage? Entourage uses a single database to house all its contacts, events and email. Sometimes it gets confused and causes apparent delays or even program crashes. I believe, but could be wrong, that this database gets loaded whenever any MSOffice app starts. Check the Activity Monitor for 'Database Daemon'. Anyway, make sure your MSOffice is fully up to date.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MissIndecisive

Hi,

I recently bought a Macbook having previously always used PC. I was told that Apples never freeze, but I've been having alot of bad luck with mine.

You got duped. They sold you a repainted PC.

Macs - they just work!

How did you fall for it, anyway?

Once you get the real Mac, it will never freeze, never crash, will have the best software, match you couch perfectly!