Mac Pro X1900 - silent?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello,

I'm considering whether to go through the pain of getting a Mac Pro BTO with an X1900, or just the stock from an Apple store. As this is predominantly going to be a very long lasting home machine, instead of a stretched to the limit workstation, noise is very important.

I've heard loads of people saying that the X1900 will have a big fan, and that this will be audible above the other fans in the Mac Pro. However, if you look at the picture used for the X1900 upgrade kit on the Apple Store website, it clearly shows a passively cooled card - can I trust this?

David

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    londorlondor Posts: 258member
    This is a X1900 XT.

Can you spot the fan? LOL.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    imacfanimacfan Posts: 444member
    Yeah, yeah, I know, but the picture Apple uses to depict the upgrade card on its store is definitely a passively cooled one - if it's slightly underclocked, as murmurings suggest, is it possible that it could be passively cooled?

David
  • Reply 3 of 4
    londorlondor Posts: 258member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMacfan

Yeah, yeah, I know, but the picture Apple uses to depict the upgrade card on its store is definitely a passively cooled one - if it's slightly underclocked, as murmurings suggest, is it possible that it could be passively cooled?

David

Are you talking about this?

If that picture actually depicts one of the cards in the Mac Pro, it has to be a 7300GT because that card only takes 1 pci slot. Check how the face plate on the X1900 XT is twice as tall.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Yeah, the X1900 XT is going to be audible, but I hear the fan is very well designed and won't crank up a huge lot outside of games and apps like Aperture or FCP.