17" MBP 86C...normal?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
So I have my new MBP on my desk with everything is almost finally loaded. I'm installing iWorks and running Powerpoint and notice that CoreDuoTemp is reading 86C spiking to 89C while the processor is showing 2.17Ghz.

I'm thinking that a biiiit too warm (while also wondering how PP and the iWorks installer peg the CPU) but is it at the threshold Apple will do something about? Plus I finally got all my stuff on this notebook.

Bring it in or not? I never hear the danged fans kick in but then again I have a noisy Dell sitting next to it.

I'm kinda worried when I really do run both cores at top speed while doing 3D stuff.

Vinea

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    imacfanimacfan Posts: 444member
    I'd say that that's too hot, but then again it is a laptop and none are that cool. Coming from the desktop side of things, my single core AMD Athlon64 2.0Ghz is running at 42 degreesC, and that's folding!

David
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMacfan

I'd say that that's too hot, but then again it is a laptop and none are that cool. Coming from the desktop side of things, my single core AMD Athlon64 2.0Ghz is running at 42 degreesC, and that's folding!

David

have you checked to see if all the firmwire updates are up to date? i seem to remember there being one to adjust fan behaviour? just a thought
  • Reply 3 of 9
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham

have you checked to see if all the firmwire updates are up to date? i seem to remember there being one to adjust fan behaviour? just a thought

The recent firmware update to adjust fan behavior was for the MacBooks (and that was pretty much to get rid of the mooing... with the added benificial side effect of lowering overall CPU temps). I haven't seen much on this for Pros.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    ^ nar, it was one of the first ones after the mbp was released, trust me, im english
  • Reply 5 of 9
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham

trust me, im english

Run away! T'is a trap!

J.k. I remember said update too, but it should have been applied to factory MBPs made after its release.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer

Run away! T'is a trap!

• Reply 7 of 9
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Yah, I poked around Apple site for a recent firmware update but didn't see one for the MBPs. I would hope that such a recent machine would have all the necessary firmware upgrades.

Vinea
  • Reply 8 of 9
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea

Yah, I poked around Apple site for a recent firmware update but didn't see one for the MBPs. I would hope that such a recent machine would have all the necessary firmware upgrades.

Vinea

That seems too hot. I'd at least call Apple tech support and ask at what temp you need to worry. Shit they need to get this thing fixed, I'm about ready to buy one.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    I held out as long as I could but I had to guarantee delivery by end of September so they purchased end of August. They also hate it when we spend money at the very last moment even if I could show only a 2-3 day delivery.

You hold out for a merom.

Vinea