macosforge.org - keen!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple seems to be back into open source development and giving back to the community. http://kernel.macosforge.org/ has the os x kernel... the part that got yanked from the darwin x86 community.

It's interesting to see they are using Wordpress on that web site... wordpress is a free, open source blogging software that blows iWeb out of the water. I say that as both a wordpress user (see my sig) but also a wordpress plugin developer. Maybe Apple will see the light and start to leverage wordpress along with the already included Apache and PHP.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Actually, Apple has used WordPress for a while, for example on apple.com/students. Also, Tiger Server ships with blojsom, which is also open-source.

Mac OS Forge was announced at WWDC's first day (though not until after the keynote).

DarwinPorts (now MacPorts) and WebKit have already been moved over, several parts have been relicensed under Apache Software License instead of APSL, and more OpenDarwin projects will be moved eventually.

They also use Trac and Subversion instead of BugZilla and CVS.

An interesting development, to be sure.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

It's interesting to see they are using Wordpress on that web site... wordpress is a free, open source blogging software that blows iWeb out of the water. I say that as both a wordpress user (see my sig) but also a wordpress plugin developer.

So you say it with a hint of bias?

Quote:

Maybe Apple will see the light and start to leverage wordpress along with the already included Apache and PHP.

Open source Webkit's 'Surfin' Safari blog' and Mac OS Forge using open source blogging software to promote their open source projects...who'dathunkit?