Anybody tried this?

Saw it on engadget Linky

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drnat

Anybody tried this?

Saw it on engadget Linky

Had a quick play with it. First tried installing Half Life 2 which seemed to stop dead midway through installation. Then installed IE6 (I'm a web developer, forgive me!) and it installed fine but wouldn't actually show any pages on screen.

I was only messing around and probably should have dedicated more time to it. From what I saw it looks very clever. The more people that get the bug reports in the better.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AllBrain

Had a quick play with it. First tried installing Half Life 2 which seemed to stop dead midway through installation. Then installed IE6 (I'm a web developer, forgive me!) and it installed fine but wouldn't actually show any pages on screen.

I was only messing around and probably should have dedicated more time to it. From what I saw it looks very clever. The more people that get the bug reports in the better.

I installed it and got IE6 up and running in no time. It's nice to have just in case I need to see how something will look in IE or to access an annoying Safari-unfriendly site.

I tried to install Office 2003 (mostly for Outlook) but wasn't able to get the install to complete. I have it loaded on a local directory copied over from our network's application server, so that could be the issue. I'm going to continue to tinker with it.

It's nice. Could be welcome relief from Parallels which has been buggy for me and BootCamp, which is inconvenient.

On another note, I installed Windows Vista RC1 via BootCamp yesterday and quickly deleted it. It was my first real 'hands-on' opportunity with the upcoming OS and all I can say is... ICK!

Take XP, add 'Glass' and confuse everything with a butchered attempt to mimic the Mac (finding basic control panel functions is now impossible!).

I had to delete it right away because it made me feel sick.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Even on Linux I've always had very mixed results using Crossover or any other form of Wine emulation. I really don't see it ever being any better than it is unless Microsoft or some other large corporation jumps on the bandwagon. With service packs, and .net framework upgrades, things just change too often for anyone without a huge budget behind them to keep up with Microsoft's code.

And on a side note to Sport73, I actually installed the Pre-RC1 Vista on my desktop (P4 2.2, 1gb, 320gb) and I must say I'm quite suprised by it. While I'm not a MS fan, I find that the performance has more than doubled since Beta 2, it's not saying that I like it...but this time the crap has less of an odor if you know what I mean. But bootcamp isn't really ready to handle it yet, the drivers aren't to that point as of yet.