JBL creatures

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was looking at a set of Creatures II speakers on ebay and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these speakers, or refurbished speakers from manufacturers, or buying speakers on ebay, They are going about half the price of a new set in the Apple store. What do you all think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    They're pretty nice, I have them. The bass is pretty muddy after a certain volume though.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    I bought them for my then-g/f as a present. Not the greatest sound, but it sure was quite an improvement over what she had, and it's a great way to decorate your desktop.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    They're no good for listening to rock or most sorts of classical music. Neither are the soundsticks, which I have personally. For general use they are alright, although if you have a G5 iMac or newer, the sound from the built-in speakers is decent enough that I would recommend against buying them.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Essentially they're great in the looks department but pretty average in the sound department, I'd rather have the inverse.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

Essentially they're great in the looks department but pretty average in the sound department, I'd rather have the inverse.

Can anyone suggest what they would purchase if they wanted something on the cheaper side but with a push towards sound over style?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Some $30 Logitech or Creative junk will probably have better sound.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Yeah, just find any system with two decent-sized right and left speakers. Usually, the bigger, the better. Subwoofer+satellite systems are only good for watching action movies on your computer, which is something not many people do.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    I have them and like them. Just don't crank the bass up- the sub isn't that strong, but it's good enough.

Make sure you put the sub on the floor- this is a make it or break it.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Can you specify your maximum price?

The ideal is the Bose Companion 3 speaker set ($250 @ Best Buy)
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Altec Lansigns have always done me well over the years.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    All these sound units about $150-300,- do sound good enough for

desktop or kitchen use but they do not replace a decent HiFi unit.

Btw for about $250,- you'll get an active M-Audio or Edirol

Stereo Speaker system, which will probably sounds better than

the oher stuff.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vox Barbara

All these sound units about $150-300,- do sound good enough for

desktop or kitchen use but they do not replace a decent HiFi unit.

This brings up a good point. What area are these speakers intended for?