Lower quality with iMovie?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Okay I'm making those family DVDs.

I export from iPhoto with great quality (check out the photo below). I go file -> export -> 640x480

However once I hope them in iMovie and then export them they turn out very pixelly (check out the picture below). I went file -> export -> QuickTime -> Full Quality

No resolutions are given but the CD quality (the step below) is 320 x 240. Does iMovie not have 640x480 resolution? However, the difference between CD-ROM and full Quality is 1.5 MB to 38.7 MB on a test file I'm doing. The what is the difference in MBs if the resolution is the same?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,438moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by metomeya

No resolutions are given but the CD quality (the step below) is 320 x 240. Does iMovie not have 640x480 resolution? However, the difference between CD-ROM and full Quality is 1.5 MB to 38.7 MB on a test file I'm doing. The what is the difference in MBs if the resolution is the same?

iMovie should be able to export 720x576 DVD quality. The difference in MB is probably a bitrate setting. If video changes a lot then you use a high bitrate. For a slideshow style movie, you can get away with a much lower bitrate.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Are these frames from the same point in the video? If so the pixelated version looks scaled from the original, and that may be part of the problem.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,438moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChevalierMalFet

Are these frames from the same point in the video? If so the pixelated version looks scaled from the original, and that may be part of the problem.

I think they're just screen grabs.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    you are using different aspect ratios. Always try and preserve the aspect ratio and frame rate of the source. Using imovie you might want to use custom settings to get the best possible quality.