Leopard upgrade pricing

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Does anyone know what Apple usually charges for an OS upgrade, or have any knowledge/speculation on the pricing of an upgrade to Leopard next year?

This may be an obvious question, but I'm a new Mac user. Just switched a few weeks ago. Never going back by the way.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Usually $129.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    when will macbook, mbp ship with leopard, i want to buy near Christmas, but will wait to save the 129
  • Reply 3 of 10
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Leopard won't be out until spring, so you won't get it by Christmas regardless.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Leopard will come out tomorrow and will cost about $8, or Febuary 27th 2007 for $129
  • Reply 5 of 10
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jarland

Does anyone know what Apple usually charges for an OS upgrade, or have any knowledge/speculation on the pricing of an upgrade to Leopard next year?

This may be an obvious question, but I'm a new Mac user. Just switched a few weeks ago. Never going back by the way.

Apple does not do upgrade pricing. The price is either $129 ($69 education) or nothing. If you buy a new computer within a few weeks of a new OS release, you may qualify for the new OS (for the price of shpping and handling). Otherwise, you pay the full (or education) price. However, it is a lot cheaper than Windows full price.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    kukukuku Posts: 254member
    Apple does upgrades, in limited and low key.

They might have to skip it depending if if they do the CD trading program again for non DVD-ROM people, which is sure to raise as a UB OS.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jarland

Welcome, PC-ling!
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me

Apple does not do upgrade pricing. The price is either $129 ($69 education) or nothing. If you buy a new computer within a few weeks of a new OS release, you may qualify for the new OS (for the price of shpping and handling). Otherwise, you pay the full (or education) price. However, it is a lot cheaper than Windows full price.

Don't forget family pricing - 5 installs for $200. All the installs have to be registered to the same address though. Don't know if there's edu pricing on that though (and I need it if there is)
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

Don't forget family pricing - 5 installs for $200. All the installs have to be registered to the same address though.

they have to be registered at the same address?? shit. me and a few mates wer gunna get together nd buy a family pack of leopard and split the cost. could you get round it by still installing it, but register it with the same address, even though you wernt? hmmm...
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham

they have to be registered at the same address?? shit. me and a few mates wer gunna get together nd buy a family pack of leopard and split the cost. could you get round it by still installing it, but register it with the same address, even though you wernt? hmmm...

If you are concerned, just don't register your product. YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO REGISTER MAC OS X LEOPARD (or almost all software Apple or non-Apple at that).

Luckily I just found out about Apple's Tiger Maintainance Program (AMP) at my University. For $65 dollars I can enroll to automatically receive the license for 2 years worth of free upgrades. If I order just before Leopard is available, I might not only get Leopard for $5 less than the regular EDU price, but I would also get 10.6 free.

In reference to the posters question:

Apple does not offer an upgrade price. When you purchase Leopard you are purchasing Leopard is it's entirty whether you have Mac OS 9 or Mac OS Tiger. So the price for Leopard as previously mentioned is $129.00, as $69 educational. If you are a EDU user, look into your Universities AMP options if you already own Tiger.