PC x1900 Does not work in OS X for Mac pro

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
That post on the apple forums was a lie.

My friend bought an x1900 512 and it only works while booted into XP.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    uh-oh!
  • Reply 2 of 13
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Er, yeah, of course it would. What were you expecting?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Er, yeah, of course it would. What were you expecting?

Yeah, sounds more like of a case of reading too fast than being decieved.

Also, your friend realizes he can put his 7300 in another slot and use that for OS X, right?
  • Reply 4 of 13
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

Yeah, sounds more like of a case of reading too fast than being decieved.

Also, your friend realizes he can put his 7300 in another slot and use that for OS X, right?

Yes, unfortunately that's not good enough.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slughead

Yes, unfortunately that's not good enough.

Why's that?
  • Reply 6 of 13
    He might have an Apple Cinema Display or something that has a meager single input.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Why's that?

He needs to graphics power for Motion and other pro-apps.

He just bought his first mac and he'd like to use OS X with his new hardware, not Windows.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    And Apple's GPU options aren't good enough?
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Well, no, they really aren't, and the Mac Pros with the X1900 XT just started shipping today, so... I don't blame him for trying to get a more timely and inexpensive solution, but he should've researched a little bit more.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Well, no, they really aren't, and the Mac Pros with the X1900 XT just started shipping today, so... I don't blame him for trying to get a more timely and inexpensive solution, but he should've researched a little bit more.

Well, yes, when spending the equivalent of what I would guess to be over $4k US, I would think that better research would be done.

What was insufficient about the Apple offering? Earlier, it was the price but that has been fixed, so I'm not getting the point here.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Well, they're not offering 7900GTXs, which are pretty much faster than the X1900 XT in every benchmark, and they're not even offering ATI's latest either (although this could change in the coming weeks). And their selection is somewhat meager, although the price drop on the X1900 XT makes a middle-range card less necessary now.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Indeed. The price only recently came down for the x1900. My friend bought one before that happened.

Funny part is, if I'd ordered an x1900 with my mac pro, I'd either still be waiting for it to ship, or I would've paid $100 more.

PS, the stock model - educational discount is $2300 plus tax. It's not like all mac pro owners are made of money. Judging from the responses I got to my cheap furniture in the 'show us your mac pros' thread, I'd say many people are under that impression (also, it would appear that many people are stuck-up assholes).

I straight-up could not afford the $350 upgrade to the x1900 nor the shipping delay, and neither could my friend. He resorted to drastic measures, knowing full well that it may not work with OS X.

I had to sell my PC and G5, put down $500, and buy the Mac Pro in the same day or I would get behind at work OR my account would get overdrawn, neither of which are acceptable.

I'm waiting for a sub-$300 card to arrive.I want to buy it and have it delivered to my house for under $310. Apple's upgrade kit is $384 net (edu discount + tax).

The 7300 is a $50 video card. The x1900 is a $350 video card. The Quadro is $1800. Anyone see a hole in their product line?
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Actually, less and less, since the highest-end gamer card that's not some two-in-one $600 card is only about 10% faster than the X1900 XT, while the $250 upgrade cost of the X1900 XT is small change next to the price of the Mac Pro itself, meaning that if they offered a $125 performance-budget card, people would say "hell, might as well pay $125 more for the real deal" and Apple would lose profit on inventory.