Strictly Star Trek

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Ok, assuming the repeated references to ST aren't just to play off the warp speed hyperbole for faster chips, but that it really indicates some direct connection to the ST world...

1. iPads - In the ST world these things lay around like paper on people's desks and are wirelessly linked to the ship's computer. Personally, I don't understand why ST characters have multiple electronic pads on their desks since anyone of them can bring up the same documents, but what da hey, they still can't cure baldness either.

2. Communicator- What? An apple branded cell phone? Whoop dee doo. OTOH, an apple cell phone, PDA, mp3 player, that wirelessly syncs with your computer and acts as a wireless modem- That would be cool, but I seriously doubt that Apple has managed to do this when everyone else hasn't. Anyway, at this point isn't it more like a Tricorder?

3. Holodeck- 3D screens (3 layers of LCD to create illusion of depth and the reality of extremely expensive computers) or stereoscopic head mounted display for wearable computer- MFOOMB.

4. "Hello, computer? " - substantially better voice recognition with some sort of intuitive control system or natural language understanding. - I doubt it, but on the flipside it would be cool if they simply improved upon the mac's voice feedback, maybe voice-morphing that makes your computer sound like Nimoy or the ship's computer (Nurse Chapel, Gene's wife did that voice).

5. Ships Computer- This would be a slightly more contrived connection to ST, but they could bill a digital media hub as equivalent to the ships computer in that it has control to everything. They could even integrate home automation devices so the doors would make that nice "Shhh" sound when you walked up to them.

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: Nordstrodamus ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    jaydogjaydog Posts: 63member
    Well is it me or did some of the pic's on the iPad's look like the iwalk. hmm
  • Reply 2 of 2
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    The phone part could happen, just ask our buddies at MOTOROLA.

The MPS part is weird, since they JUST RELEASED A MP3 PLAYER.

This could be part of the wireless- Satallite -ISP-Airport 2-Gigawire-Wearable-Danger-iWalk rumor

Would it run OS X? If so then the "Star Trek: the NeXt generation" allusion would make sense...

Are we insane?