Safari memory leak?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I just bought a MacBook Pro a couple weeks ago, and I'm using iStat Pro on my dashboard to keep up with all my stats. I've noticed lately that Safari will eventually consume quite a large amount of ram, like say 200+ mb. When I completely close safari from the dock, it will free up a lot of ram, then if I re-open the browser, it's memory usage is back to what it should be. I don't notice that it effects performance in any way. But I don't have any games or anything that really works the computer hard enough to notice.

Does anyone else have this problem? I do have all the updates installed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I think that it is just Safari's cache. I have the same thing happening but I don't notice any difference in performance. Remember that you want to use all of the RAM that you paid for so it's good to have hardly any free.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Yep, Safari caches exceptionally aggressively without any artificial upper limits. it relies on the OS X memory manager to keep the things most relevant in RAM and lets the rest go to the VM backing store out on disk. Be happy, this is how RAM is SUPPOSED to be used!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    kukukuku Posts: 254member
    Yes and no. As they say, everything in engineering is a trade off.

While certainly it can be more efficent to use as much memory as possible, the trade off here is there is more swaping to VM.

Theorically everything is intelligent enough to know what you want to work with in real ram and vram, but alas that's not possible.

So you will get a performance penalty for swaping, when you suddenly decide to work on something in VRAM.

Lot of times it has come up, but hey, it beats the old OS9 way, though performance wise manual ram alocation can't be beat.

Safari does mess up sometimes, so you do need to quit out of it every so often like most webrowsers with plugins and all that.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    OK, good. I've only been using OS10 for 2 weeks now. I figured by the lack of a drop in performance it was probably ok, but I'm so used to Windows where every application running in the background means a 10% loss in speed.