Best file sharing apps on the Mac?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Having made my trumphant return from the PC, I need to fill the gap in my life created by my apparent inability to find an adequate replacement for Kazaa Lite, Direct Connect and Morpheus.

LimeWire seems to be completely ineffective as a means of finding anything. And Carracho is filled with slow servers thaat kick you off on a whim, if they let you download anything at all.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    [quote]Originally posted by DoctorGonzo:

<strong>Having made my trumphant return from the PC, I need to fill the gap in my life created by my apparent inability to find an adequate replacement for Kazaa Lite, Direct Connect and Morpheus.

LimeWire seems to be completely ineffective as a means of finding anything. And Carracho is filled with slow servers thaat kick you off on a whim, if they let you download anything at all.

Any suggestions?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Look around. There are like 50 threads on appleInsider that ask this question. BTW, Direct Connect should have an OSX client some times this fall. October or November I think. (That's not official, but someone posted that they talked to John Hess and that's what he said)
  • Reply 2 of 7
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    There is a Java Direct Connect, but I'm not sure how effective it is. Plus it's pretty nasty.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    <a href="http://www.xlife.org/aquisition.php"; target="_blank">Acquisition</a> is an excellent Gnutella client (same network that Limewire and Morpheus use).
  • Reply 4 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by frawgz:

<strong>There is a Java Direct Connect, but I'm not sure how effective it is. Plus it's pretty nasty.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I know the creator. It's not that great, and it's still in development.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Anyone know if there are any Hotline servers still up? I used to use it, but I can never find any servers anymore. Most people are using IRC + FTP methinks.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by agent302:

<strong><a href="http://www.xlife.org/aquisition.php"; target="_blank">Acquisition</a> is an excellent Gnutella client (same network that Limewire and Morpheus use).</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, it's much better than Limewire for me.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    It's Ok except you only get 5% or so of what is offered to download, but I think thats the network not the software. It has some UI quirks but nothing fatal by any stretch, Limewire was altogether useless when I last tried it