Install newer version of os over existing os

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I am new to the world of mac.

I wonder if I can buy today a macbook that has tiger os and when the leopard comes out(final version-2007), install it over tiger.

I mean that if I buy now a macbook, then I will spend lot of time to make the os suit to my needs, setup programs, several system preferences etc.

Is it easy to just install leopard os in an existing tiger os enviroment or I will have problems?

If there are problems maybe I will wait for leopard os to arise.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    In the past, there have been several options to install a new OS. You could do what you want, and install over the existing OS, which would save many preferences. Many people prefer to do a clean install, in order to "start fresh." I assume the same options will be available for Leopard.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Are there any problems?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Installing a new OS is a piece of cake and isn't something you'll have to worry about. I usually like backing up, erasing my hard drive, and installing the new OS / putting my files back on simply because it clears out any disk fragmentation and is guaranteed to result in no problems.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Is it easy to take backup of all the preferences on system and application settings?

In my windows system, I have to set up for days.

Every single application and also the os itself. I have to to make it suit my needs and this is something only me can do it(for myself).

I can take ghost backup having all my system preferences and application data backed up, but of course this is not an update because the os remains the same.

This is my win experience, I wonder if mac experience would be something like that.

All these configurations make me have headaches, it is a tedious task.

Of course win xp remain in my drive for the last years(no often updates like the mac os) but if I had to make format for some reason, it is always the worst nightmare for me because the specific set up ana cofiguration of almost a hundred of applications and windows itself, can take me days!

Is this task easier in mac os?

I understood from what BRussell said that it seems that installing a newer version over an older in mac so, might not have any problems.

Would it be nice practice to save my days or clean install is better for many reasons (not only defrag)?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    You can just install Leopard over Tiger, and keep all your settings. No problem. If you WANT to do a clean install, then that is available also.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

Installing a new OS is a piece of cake and isn't something you'll have to worry about. I usually like backing up, erasing my hard drive, and installing the new OS / putting my files back on simply because it clears out any disk fragmentation and is guaranteed to result in no problems.

Under OS9 I was able to perform a clean install and reinstall of my programs with some degree of difficulty, but I did it at least once. Is there a tool available to perform this under OSX? OSX still has many new layers of complexity that I don't care to involve myself in, nor should I. Sometimes I wonder how a brand new computer user could navigate OSX at all (y'know, moving, throwing out and erasing important files), but I am continually surprised.

No sooner do I mention this, then this appears: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=66379
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cool11

All these configurations make me have headaches, it is a tedious task.

Of course win xp remain in my drive for the last years(no often updates like the mac os) but if I had to make format for some reason, it is always the worst nightmare for me because the specific set up ana cofiguration of almost a hundred of applications and windows itself, can take me days!

Is this task easier in mac os?

Inherently, it is much easier in OS X than what it is with WinXP (or any Windows variant). This is mainly because Windows has to have registries, has to have files in specific places, etc etc. In the Mac World, basically most programs are self-contained entities. Those entities can report back to the OS, and the OS responds. All in all, I was able to get my machine from ground zero to development state in a little less than a day, and even then, the majority of my time was waiting for disks to be read so I could install. Plus, most apps can literally be drag-n-dropped into the Apps folds, and you are set.

Windows wishes it could just get Plug and Play (pray?) working.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Windows has made you a very cautious boy
  • Reply 9 of 12
    So, your suggestions tell me go ahead and install the new version over the old one. It is the easy way and in mac world I should not expect any problems. Everything ok?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    cool11,

I've never had a problem installing a new OS over an old one. You also have to remember that Apple doesn't send out distros that are updates only, like Windows does. Apple always sends out the complete OS, so when you update to the new OS, everything is there. Your Mac will be just fine (provided it can meet the requirements of the new OS) and you'll not have to worry about installation issues.

Leopard will add a new element into the mix for us all through Time Machine. It may be wise to go and get yourself a good external firewire drive for your computer now. If you want to use Time Machine, it's best to have that external drive for when you install the OS. That way, you can start off using all of Leopard's features directly from the install. Some might recommend that you simply dedicate some of your internal hard drive's space for the Time Machine data, but that's ill-advised. If your hard drive dies (I've lost three) you'll want your data safely stored on the external.

That's just my two cents.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Brian Green thanks for your response. Good news indeed.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    I've upgraded my OS every time since 10.1 without doing a clean install. No problemo.

The only thing I like to do is a complete backup of my computer before upgrading. Has it been necessary? Nope. But it makes me feel good, and anyhow it's always a good idea to back up now and then, because although the OS doesn't fail, the hardware dies eventually.