What about resolution conflicts?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
There has been talk for a while about a true video ipod with higher resolution and and a bigger screen. And now there is talk about a media center like device. All of this centers around the idea that Apple will sell movies on the iTunes Music store (or something like it). But I think we can all agree Apple wil not be selling VHS quality movies for $10-15 a pop like they do with their current videos.

So my question is how will Apple deal with multiple resolutions?

1. You currently have TV shows, short films and music videos selling on iTMS for $1.99 at VHS quality.

2. 5G iPods are built to only handle the VHS quality videos mentioned.

If Apple were to suddenly release new movies at higher resolution, it could be guessed that iTunes would just down convert those videos for 5G ipods.

But what about people who have new 6G ipods or some new Media Device that can handle higher resolution, will they still be stuck buying VHS quality TV shows, short films and music videos? Will Apple start offering new higher resolution episodes and if so will you have to buy them again?

Or will it only be movies that are offered at higher resolutions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    We've already got a thread going for this...

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...d=1#post963377
  • Reply 2 of 6
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Um guys this topic is about resolution conflicts. Not what the other thread is about. How about discussing this topic with me.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

That picture is such a non sequitur, I made a little laugh.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    @ ApplePi, please excuse my abruptness. I didn't read your full comment. Ah yes, I've had these thoughts myself before. I'm a bit clueless as to what they might do too.

They might...

Movies: Apple will release movies, and could update quicktime to allow for encoding to 6G iPod or 5G iPod?

Music Videos: Apple will start to offer two types of format for downloading 5G or 6G.

TV Shows: (same as music videos)

Job done!

What's this got to do with future hardware though?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Apple always keep it simple. I can't see videos/movies/tv shows getting sold in two resolution formats for different costs.

I would expect in iTunes prefs you will have to set what device it is for (i.e. 5G/G3 Macs or 6G/Other Macs etc). Then once you click Buy in iTunes you'll get the resolution version downloaded which is suitable for the device you've selected. I expect once you've bought one version in on resolution tough if you ever upgrade your hardware. You'll either watch it in lower quality or buy it again.