Apple rolls out Merom-based iMacs, new 24-inch model

Comments

• Reply 81 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

my understanding is that the 7300GT isn't that much better - it's the base Mac Pro card, and was criticized on release.

I've got a 7300 in my Mac Pro -- couldn't wait for the X1900. Anyway, OpenGL performance in 3D apps is shockingly good...OpenGL in Cheetah and Modo just flies -- even Rosetta-emulated SketchUp shows performance on par with my old 6800GT. And native SketchUp (under XP) is amazingly fast. The sort of fast that I thought I'd need to shell out $300 extra to get. Oh, and it's silent.

Now, 3D apps also use the main procs to do some of the heavy lifting: maybe this accounts for some of the speed.

Games will be a different matter -- can't comment there.
  • Reply 82 of 283
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Darth_Apple

I guess you didn't read the article or headlines... anyways I'll humor you there Merom

Anyways can anyone tell me how much better the new graphics card on the iMac (NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT and 7600 GT) are compared to the ATI Radeon X1600?

I want that 24" iMac so bad!!!!!!!!!!!! ~drools~

The only one that is saying it's a merom is AI, and they just put it there to back up their previous story. I can find no info at apple, or anywhere else that says all of these iMacs are using one, or either processor in particular.

Even though I do believe it could be a merom, it seems fast for these to be rolling off of the line so quickly if it is.
  • Reply 83 of 283
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thedonga

looks like they are using the same panel as the dell 2407? too bad it sucks for photo work...too bright

Isn't the backlight a different component than the panel?
  • Reply 84 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57

Can't you wait to actually see the thing before you start whining? Even if they are the same panel Apple always tweaks the specs to their own requirements.

It's more than that. The pannel itself isn't the problem with DELL. It's the hardware controlling the panel DELL uses. Apple and DELL may use the same screen in their displays, but there are other hardware components in the display that control it than just the screen itself.
  • Reply 85 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker

The only one that is saying it's a merom is AI, and they just put it there to back up their previous story. I can find no info at apple, or anywhere else that says all of these iMacs are using one, or either processor in particular.

Even though I do believe it could be a merom, it seems fast for these to be rolling off of the line so quickly if it is.

The Conroe chips are not offered at the clock speeds that are available in the iMac. The tech specs sheet says 667MHz CPU bus so I think those two combined mean it's a Merom.
  • Reply 86 of 283
    Awesome updates nice to see an all Core 2 Duo lone. The 24" iMac system is a great addition to the Apple line.

Apple will see an amazing response to these new systems. Apple's quarter will kick you know what. I expect a lot of people to purchase thier first Macs this holiday season.
  • Reply 87 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DotComCTO

FYI - the iPod offer isn't available for the new iMacs.

Yes it is.
  • Reply 88 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

I don't get the 3GB either. I've never heard of 768 MB RAM sticks.

That isn't what is in there. If you check the configuration page on Apple's store site, it says the memory is in the form of 1x 2GB and 1x 1GB sticks. I'd like to know how they are getting the 2GB sticks so cheaply, I checked yesterday and 2GB DDR2 SODIMMs were $1300 wherever I looked.
  • Reply 89 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jido

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that they put two soldered 512MB sticks in the enclosure.

According to the Apple store, one of the slots takes a 2GB stick, and the other a 1GB.
  • Reply 90 of 283
    Is it me, or do you find it surprising that Apple just announced these "out of the blue" and not at some media event? Sure there were rumors about new iMacs, there always are, but sheesh ..... maybe I'm getting old ...
  • Reply 91 of 283
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol

Videotron (Quebec company in Canada)...they offer 20GB download 10GB upload for a certain price per month and then they offer unlimited download/upload for 15 dollars more per month...I know, it's a little stupid but I'm living in a 3rd world country here, cut Canada some slack.

Not to get too far off topic but uh, I'm in Toronto using Bell Sympatico and there is no limit. They had limits for about 6 months (and yes, I got dinged one month pretty bad), but soon removed them (about 2 years ago now).

Anyways, to get back on topic, the 24" iMac looks awesome. Wonder if I can convince my company to take back the 20" 2.0 GHz PPC iMac they got for me a year and a half ago and buy me that one?

Still waiting for the MBP upgrade...
  • Reply 92 of 283
    redison, I'm not surprised. I had deduced that the media event was for either iPods, and iTunes, or for something new. I am predicting something new. And by something new I think (hope) it's our long awaited (Steve Jobs Quote) "We hear you loud, and clear" Product.
  • Reply 93 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by b3ns0n

Oh for god's sake. This really angers me. They must know that the college/university (europe, at least) season approaches like NEXT WEEK, yet they've decided to throw their meroms into desktops? This is completely ridiculous. If there's no MBP by saturday, I'm buying a dell. I doubt there's anyone on such a tight timescale right now as prospective university students, and the majority of those will want a notebook, not a desktop.

BAD MOVE APPLE.

Agreed. This is absurd. There is no reason why they couldn't put the Meroms in the MBP's and stick Conroes in the iMacs. While I won't go buy a Dell, I'm seriously considering buying a used MBP for the interim until Apple gets its ducks in a row.

I've never seen a company buck business norms the way Apple does...

EDIT: Apparently, it's not confirmed that these are Merom based. I'll hold my tongue until further proof is provided.
  • Reply 94 of 283
    Unless they have other intentions for the next iMac line, and/or they have a new product upcoming in the lineup.
  • Reply 95 of 283
    That "means" that next thuesday its bigger than anyone can imagine, cause toss a 24" iMac without bang and wistles over a media event just could lead us to think they really have very good products to show of next 12.

And its freaking nice to see Apple core duo2 products released with a shorter time frame than the others.
  • Reply 96 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WhetWurm

Agreed. This is absurd. There is no reason why they couldn't put the Meroms in the MBP's and stick Conroes in the iMacs. While I won't go buy a Dell, I'm seriously considering buying a used MBP for the interim until Apple gets its ducks in a row.

This is speculation, but given that both iMac CD and C2D were released just before any notebooks with those chips were released, it may be a special deal to get Meroms that are slightly too hot to fit the rated TDP, say, if it was 40W vs. 35W, but for some other reason might not qualify as a Conroe. An iMac can easily take something that's a little hotter, but notebooks probably cannot.

Maybe the MBPs will be available next week.
  • Reply 97 of 283
    Quote:

I've never seen a company buck business norms the way Apple does...

EDIT: Apparently, it's not confirmed that these are Merom based. I'll hold my tongue until further proof is provided.

"I've never seen a company buck business norms the way Apple does..."

The only sensible thing you said.

So let's see:

IBM drops pc's

Dell lossing ground

Intel laying off

HP in trouble

GM on verge of bankruptcy

Ford joining the discontent

But Apple just keeps a growing in innovations, products, sales, service, support, stature…

Thank heavens, that Apple is above the norm.
  • Reply 98 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

The Conroe chips are not offered at the clock speeds that are available in the iMac. The tech specs sheet says 667MHz CPU bus so I think those two combined mean it's a Merom.

Plus, the cache sizes match merom, not conroe.

Quote:

There are a couple reasons to use Merom. They don't require a new motherboard, and they run cooler (meaning the fan runs less often making the box quieter). And merom WILL go in the MPB, it will probably just be a matter of days. Don't forget, nobody is shipping merom laptops in quantity yet.
  • Reply 99 of 283
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Are these new iMacs any easier to service than the previous models? Or is Apple screwing over their technicians again?
  • Reply 100 of 283
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Can I hook up my Xbox 360 to the 24"?