First 24" iMac Buyer / Holding Off.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Stuck whether I should just spend the money and wait the 7-10 working days for a configured one to be delivered, maxing out every available option, ASIDES from RAM - least the new iMac can hold up to 4GB of RAM from what I understand - watch those 2Gb Dimms go up in price and zilch availabilty!

Or alternatively, I will just wait till Leopard comes out therefore there will be actually more use for the iMac for me when the Universal apps come out...

Decisions Decisons...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Well, you better not be in a hurry if you want to wait.

Leopard won't be out until WWDC 2006 at the absolute earliest. More likely March or April. And if by Universal Apps you mean Adobe, you're waiting until June, and the iMac will have been revved again.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Someone said that the 2 ram slots will only hold 1 GB stick in one, and 2 GB stick in the other. That didn't really sound right to me.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    That's what you will find on Apples website. 3 GB Maximun memory in a 1x1G and a 1x2G config.

Strange, but true. The "old" iMac topped out at 2GB, so there is still some omprovement, but I wouldn't waste money on two 2GB modules.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Here's the link confirming the 3GB memory limitation:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304284

Note: If you do install a 2 GB SO-DIMM in both the bottom and top memory slots of the computer, the About This Mac window and Apple System Profiler will both show that you have 4 GB of SDRAM installed. However, Activity Monitor and other similar applications will reveal that only 3 GB of SDRAM has been addressed for use by the computer.

This seems to be a software limitation... probably related to the address space of 32-bit OS X.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    3Gb just sounds absurd if that is indeed the case - I thought the machine maxing out at 3Gb sounded odd - won't be long before a software update will cure said problem though, 3Gb still doesn't sound right!

I can see it now, "24 iMac 4Gb HACK!"
  • Reply 6 of 7
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmhtkmhtkmht

3Gb just sounds absurd if that is indeed the case - I thought the machine maxing out at 3Gb sounded odd - won't be long before a software update will cure said problem though, 3Gb still doesn't sound right!

I can see it now, "24 iMac 4Gb HACK!"

It is possible that they simply didn't wire the higher address pin so that it would not work. The "About This Mac" screen might show you the total as it is read from the little serial identifier chip in the memory card, but the main OS knows that it can't access the highest 1GB.

If you need 4GB, I think you may be better off with a Mac Pro, especially given that the 2GB SODIMMs cost $700 or more right now, and you'll get better multitasking and quad channel. memory.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    I can't imagine any iMac user actually NEEDING 4 Gigs but I just thought the number 3 in terms of RAM sounds retarded...

I think I might just settle with 2 Gigs if that is the case!