Leopard on 24" iMac

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
As the 24 currently ships with Tiger, what will happen to it when I upgrade it to Leopard? Will all my settings & or files get scrubbed with the upgrade? Or is there either an upgrade and or clean install option?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmhtkmhtkmht

As the 24 currently ships with Tiger, what will happen to it when I upgrade it to Leopard? Will all my settings & or files get scrubbed with the upgrade? Or is there either an upgrade and or clean install option?

Unlike Windows, you can upgrade the Mac OS without losing, data, settings and without having to re-install any applications.

C.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Is it a genuine realistic option thought to upgrade the OS?

In that you can do it under Windows but you'd be MUCH better off just doing a Clean Install - I don't know anyone that would use an "Upgrade" copy..

Is an upgrade on an OS X therefore relatively painless and a REAL option - in that the computer will be just like old but with a new OS on it, working just like it did on the older os?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Quote:

In that you can do it under Windows but you'd be MUCH better off just doing a Clean Install - I don't know anyone that would use an "Upgrade" copy..

Is an upgrade on an OS X therefore relatively painless and a REAL option - in that the computer will be just like old but with a new OS on it, working just like it did on the older os?

Yes, people do a simple upgrade all the time. I hate the annoyance of a clean install.

It's painless, baby, painless. Yeeehaw!
  • Reply 4 of 12
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    But always do a backup before updating your OS.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut

But always do a backup before updating your OS.

With Time Macine if something went wrong, after you install Leopard you could go back in time to before you installed Leopard to give yourself a slap.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Repeat after me: MacOS X is not Windows.

Upgrading is how you are supposed to install a new version of Mac OS X. Archive & Install is a strategy for fixing some vexing problem with your current installation; it is not an upgrade strategy. If you have a catastrophic failure, you might want to reformat and reinstall. Neither technique should be used for routine maintenance.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

With Time Macine if something went wrong, after you install Leopard you could go back in time to before you installed Leopard to give yourself a slap.

Actually you can, the Leopard installer gives you the option of backing up your computer using Time Machine before even installing the OS.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:

Macs are simply wonderful this way. They just work like they are supposed to, in millions of little ways.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChrisG

Actually you can, the Leopard installer gives you the option of backing up your computer using Time Machine before even installing the OS.

No I installed it, and I think that option is if you want to set-up your backing up prefs/situation on set-up.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

Can I use it to go back in time and purchase the recently drawn winning lottery numbers? If so, new Macs for all AI members!
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murk

Can I use it to go back in time and purchase the recently drawn winning lottery numbers? If so, new Macs for all AI members!

If it works, please go forward in time and snag me:

1) A copy of my homework due tomorrow

2) Almanac w/ Superbowl + World Series winners and game highlights

3) Black 24" headless iMac.

omgkthnxbye

• Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murk

1. 24" iMac please.

2. then go forward and get me a video iPod (tomorrow xfingersx)