How many times....?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
How many times does your PC crash daily?

How many times does your Mac crash daily?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Dont have a PC

Since getting my first Mac 1 year ago it has never crashed atall!
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by playcrackthesky

Probably once a week. Sometimes more...

Quote:

Once. After installing Logitech drivers for a mouse. I got a kernel panic. Then, when I removed the drivers, never had a problem since.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    My work computer on XP crashes, but it's because of bad RAM that hasn't been replaced. Can't really blame windows.

OS X never crashes of course.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    My iMac has crashed twice, both because CIV IV won't function with anti-aliasing on in an intel machine unless you're playing in a window. The fact that aspyr has yet to fix this problem is highly annoying.

My work PC actually hardly ever crashes. It did however completely bite the dust a few months ago and had to be whiped cleaned.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Quote:

Neither crashes, but my PC has all sorts of wanky little irritations: wireless breaks up more; slows down over the course of the days and weeks; not nearly as pretty.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    I've never owned a PC, though my sister has owned a Dell laptop at one point (no, not the exploding kind), and she had all kinds of trouble with it, including software and hardware failure.

I won't lie about my Macs though. I've owned many. I've caused every one of them to crash at one point or another, however for very different reasons. In the days of OS 9, my computer would crash sometimes, and it ususally wouldn't be my fault. OS X is much more stable than OS 9 was, of course, but it is still possible to crash it. The difference there is, of course, I usually am the culprit when my OS X machines crash.

Computers are becoming more and more advanced; really more like animals than machines, with very complex sets of reactions to various commands, and more importantly, limits. If you tax your computer beyond a reasonable level, either by installing too much software that alters the operating system beyond a healthy level, or by demanding that a machine run too many tasks at the same time, it has a higher likelyhood of crashing, and in this case, it is the user's fault. The likelyhood of a design flaw or a programming flaw causing a crash is increasingly diminishing as computer technology evolves and becomes more solid. This is why in many cases the blame for a crash can be placed on the user.

That's my two cents, and with that said, I prefer Macintosh.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    akkakk Posts: 5member
    My PC with XP doesn't crash, almost. A few times a year at most, but since it is 8 years old by now the hardware starts to get quite old. But, using the bundled drivers makes it crash about once an hour, using the unsigned and by Windows "hazardous" drivers it works just fine.

And my Mac OS 8 machine dosen't use to crash either, could be because it's switched off all the time :P

And I expect that my soon to be bought MacBook wont crash eiter!
  • Reply 8 of 17
    almalm Posts: 111member
    I have Mac for two years and never had luck to see it panic (so it's kinda myth for me). But I got it hang couple of times.

I used PC's since DOS ages and saw plenty of crashes. But to be honest, I already forgot how blue screen of death looks like. Didn't see it for last four of five years.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    It's all a numbers game.

On the mac side you've got a small percentage of people buying macs which have very little threat of virii and quality componants all preassembled and tested to work together for sure with an OS built for them.

On the linux side you've got a bunch of geeks who spend all day configuring their machines, also with very little threat of virii, so of course they're going to be stable.

On the windows side you have uncle Bill or your little sister buying blue light special hardware from dell or emachines and downloading every annoyance availalble to mankind, with very little regard for maintainance and high threat of virii.

It's kind of a no brainer to figure out which user group is going to have the most trouble. XP gets a bad rep because of this. Which is unfortunate because it's actually a very good and stable operating system under the right hands with the right componants.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    I've had numerous crashes, and at one point had to take in my system to the Apple Store for diagnosis. This was a while back, but they were baffled by the problem at the time. I think they weren't very capable of pinpointing problems with OSX.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Why is this in the future hardware forum, and why are you all replying?
  • Reply 12 of 17
    ^ Just because it is in the wrong forum doesn't mean people can't reply.

PC crashes about 3 times every two weeks.

And since getting my iMac in April, it hasn't crashed once.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    OK... quite a few things wrong with this thread.

Firstly, the header would have to be the most non-descript one I've seen in a while.

Secondly, this is NOT a Future Hardware thread.

Thirdly, Mac's don't crash. Ever. They just have little hiccups between their limitless uptime.

Moving to General

b.

EDIT> sorry, should have changed the header before I moved it. :/
  • Reply 14 of 17
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    My Mac doesn't crash, but I'm having a huge problem with my ipods locking up itunes and stuff.

Sometimes it requires a restart.

Over the summer I worked with PCs with windows 2000 all day every day. They didn't crash. They were all pentium 3's.

The only ones I had problems with were defective hardware (part of our hardware test is installing windows).

I certainly didn't use PCs for as much as I use my macs for, but crashing wasn't a problem with windows 2000.

On the other hand, I was the lead-tech for this company and we didn't let anyone use outlook OR internet explorer, so these machines were virus and spyware free.

If you know what you're doing, you never have to get a virus on your PC. On the other hand, most people don't.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    My PC doesn't crash that often, but I have to restart twice a day because the Windows memory management seems to mess things up whenever I work with big files. And I work with big files all the time. The RAM seems to check out fine from the diagnostic.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    My Macs rarely crash. My Ubuntu box has not crashed yet. (1 month old) My Windows box rarely crashes but it is not on 24/7 and restarts frequently.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Never.

Never.