G5 -> Mac Pro using Migration Assistant

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Well, I'm expecting my Mac Pro 2.66 in a couple of weeks and I was trying to find a thread on moving from the G5 (PPC) to Mac Pro (Intel). Can someone provide some insight as to whether Migration Assistant will have a problem with the transition. I want my transition to the Mac Pro to be as seamless as possible. I thought I read somewhere that some people had problems; Macintouch maybe. I didn't have a problem with my MacBook Pro transition from my Powerbook. Just wondering if something has changed and plotting my migration strategy...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I'm going to go through the same switch soon. I've had great experiences with Migration Assistant including transitioning from PowerPC to Intel system, but I don't plan to use it this time. The main reason is that my machine is three years old and has never been rebuilt. The rev A G5 shipped with 10.2.8 and the new machine will be a good way to freshen up. That said the ease of Migration Assistant definitely has its appeal...
  • Reply 2 of 8
    I read that same report, so add me to the gaggle of people interested to know if it works...
  • Reply 3 of 8
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Before you begin the setup process on your new Mac, have your older Mac (with the info you want to migrate) next to you. Also, have a firewire cable handy.

When you first start your new Mac and go through the set up process, it will ask you if you want to bring over your account from another machine. (Or something to that effect.) It will give you instructions as to what to do next.

Basically, you will be shutting down your old Mac, hooking up the firewire cable to your new and old Mac and restarting your old Mac holding down the T key. (I think that is the one. Target disk mode.)

Your new Mac will ask you a few things on what you want to bring over. We brought over all of our apps, preferences, etc.

After you select these things, your new Mac will take over bringing all of this stuff over. The beauty of it, is that sometimes applications be included in several folders on your machine. (The apps folder, application support, documents, prefs, etc.) Migration assistant will find all of these automatically where if you did it yourself, you may miss a few things.

Depending on how much info you have, it will take only a few minutes and is painless.

If you have several users, it will also ask which users you want to migrate.

To make things easy, I also use my same user name and password for the new setup on my new Mac to perform this migration. You can change that stuff later if you want.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kcmac

Before you begin the setup process on your new Mac, have your older Mac (with the info you want to migrate) next to you. Also, have a firewire cable handy.

When you first start your new Mac and go through the set up process, it will ask you if you want to bring over your account from another machine. (Or something to that effect.) It will give you instructions as to what to do next.

Basically, you will be shutting down your old Mac, hooking up the firewire cable to your new and old Mac and restarting your old Mac holding down the T key. (I think that is the one. Target disk mode.)

Your new Mac will ask you a few things on what you want to bring over. We brought over all of our apps, preferences, etc.

After you select these things, your new Mac will take over bringing all of this stuff over. The beauty of it, is that sometimes applications be included in several folders on your machine. (The apps folder, application support, documents, prefs, etc.) Migration assistant will find all of these automatically where if you did it yourself, you may miss a few things.

Depending on how much info you have, it will take only a few minutes and is painless.

If you have several users, it will also ask which users you want to migrate.

To make things easy, I also use my same user name and password for the new setup on my new Mac to perform this migration. You can change that stuff later if you want.

I used the migration assistant with my PBG4 -> MacBook Pro 2.16 and had no problems. Since then, I've been reading these "horror" stories about migration to the Mac Pro. I'm going to use MA and if it gives me problems I'll reinstall all my apps. I think it'll be fine. Tomorrow I will know.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Macintouch never has any good news posted if ya haven't noticed...

Good luck and congrats on the Mac Pro.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    My G5 PowerMac Dual 2.5 died and was replaced under Applecare with a MacPro 2.66. The Apple Store where I'd taken the G5 migrated all the stuff off my old main drive onto the MP. Everything seems to work perfectly with the exception that several bookmarked Safari links seem to be broken. So far I'm very happy with the migration process.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Thanks kcmac. I've migrated from my Cube to my G5 painlessly, so hopefully this latest move is an easy one.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    I love Migration Assistant. In case you guys missed it, it will also migrate from one volume to another on the same hard drive. So if you want to do a clean install, wipe one partition, install the OS on it, and use Migration Assistant to move all your junk over from the other partition. Also the choice#1 for when you add a new drive and you want to make it your primary drive.