him: and not this isn't some stupid im thing

spart: ?

him: my friend has the pc version of the new pay aim client

him: with advertisements of all the new features available

him: and the expiration of the free service

him: but the date is ****ed

spart: ****ing gay **** man

him: no ****

him: .mac is going to be a conversionary tool in aim and then once they get enough they are leaving aim and launching their own 'eworld" as part as the whole .mac thing

him: its digital services

him: news, chat, support, games, all our own shit

him: apple aol on top of your isp like ****

Take that as you will...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    [quote]him: .mac is going to be a conversionary tool in aim and then once they get enough they are leaving aim and launching their own 'eworld" as part as the whole .mac thing<hr></blockquote>

Why would they do that again? It doesn't work. Why sign up with the largest instant messaging community, only to later abandon it? Not only is that a stupid idea, it's not going to happen.

I don't like having to use 3-4 different IM protocols. I like using AIM. I don't use any other. iChat uses AIM, that's great, I'll use iChat, but apps like Proteus annoy me a bit.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    I thought it was common knowledge that AOL are releasing an AIM Pro client, free from advertising and with extra features. The fee-free ad-included AIM won't be going anywhere soon.

J :cool:
  • Reply 3 of 15
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    So which is it? AIM becomes a pay service or .Mac dumps AIM and becomes its own instant message service?
  • Reply 4 of 15
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    I don't think people will pay for IM's unless they offer features like good P2P tranfers and more. Sounds like a hoax
  • Reply 5 of 15
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    That'll be ironic - the only popular free client would then be MSN!

We should all switch to Jabber. Much easier

Amorya (who uses MSN via Fire)
  • Reply 6 of 15
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    I think <a href="http://www.mac.com/1/mac_newfeatures.html"; target="_blank">this</a> page says it all. It's the "Coming soon" page for .Mac features. So iChat is a .Mac service, not just an app with Jaguar?

AIM becomes a pay-for service, .Mac users fee is rolled into the $99?
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Ridiculous.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    More proof that there is no such thing as a free lunch, despite the dot-bomb industry's best efforts. Now, this doesn't seem to mean that the free AIM client is going away, just a pay version sans advertisements is coming. But you can see a trend, can't you?
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Rumors about the death of free AIM are greatly exaggerated.

AIM as it is now will continue to exist. AIM+ or something of the sort is being introduced for a small yearly fee, with no ads, and more features.

iChat is *not* a .Mac service. Neither is iCal or iSync. They can be used independently of the .Mac network- with an AIM name, and without the web publishing and web-sync features, respectively.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    So then I wonder if the AIM pro services will be included as part of .Mac, and the free AIM will be useable with iChat even w/o .Mac.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    If there is such a thing as AIM Pro, what would it offer? First of all, no ads, obviously.

iChat already offers this. Apple is licensing access to Oscar (or something like that). That means they're paying for our access to the AIM network with no ads. I can't imagine why AOL would allow Apple access to Oscar for free, since the ads are one of the big reasons they don't like third parties piggybacking on Oscar for free.

The only thing that .Mac page says is that soon we will be able to chat online using our .Mac screen names. One more thing we can do with our subscriptions.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    nebrienebrie Posts: 483member
    [quote]Originally posted by Belle:

<strong>I think <a href="http://www.mac.com/1/mac_newfeatures.html"; target="_blank">this</a> page says it all. It's the "Coming soon" page for .Mac features. So iChat is a .Mac service, not just an app with Jaguar?

AIM becomes a pay-for service, .Mac users fee is rolled into the $99?</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's a .Mac feature because you can log into it with [email protected] if you are a .mac user.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by frawgz:

<strong>That means they're paying for our access to the AIM network with no ads. I can't imagine why AOL would allow Apple access to Oscar for free, since the ads are one of the big reasons they don't like third parties piggybacking on Oscar for free.</strong><hr></blockquote>

75 percent of the ads in AIM are from AOL.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by The Betts Boy:

<strong>

75 percent of the ads in AIM are from AOL.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hmm.. I hadn't thought about that. But does that really change the situation that much? AOL still gets millions of eyeballs on their on media content. With third party freeloaders, no such eyeballs.

P.S. Welcome to AI Adam
  • Reply 15 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by The Betts Boy:

<strong>

75 percent of the ads in AIM are from AOL.</strong><hr></blockquote>

And the other 25% are for AOL-Time Warner companies.