Php-apache-mysql in mac os x

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I design sites so I want to know if I have to download and install mysql-apache-php on mac, because untill now my experience is from windows.

Somebody told me that some components are built-in mac os, but I am not sure what is ready to run or not.

What do I have to do in order to have my system ready for web development with minimum problems?

Comments

• Reply 2 of 8
    rara Posts: 623member
    PHP and Apache come with all Macs. I believe MySql is a separate install except for OS X Server.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    If you're looking for the easy way, just use the entropy.ch version of PHP (the link in the second post). You can then download the MySQL OSX binary directly from mysql.org

Otherwise, if you're like me, you can compile your own versions of Apache and PHP from source using the terminal.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    For PHP and Apache setup, go here:

http://movielibrary.lynda.com/html/modPage.asp?ID=145

Click on "installing on mac" as well as "site configuration" those are free tutorials, but you need to sign up to view all of them.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    just install MAMP. it includes all of the above, and more, and is a cinch to start and stop. Also, the versions of PHP, Apache etc are always up to date, unlike the versions the come preinstalled on OS X. It includes PHP acceleration software, has a handy preferences pane, etc.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    It's really easy. Last weekend I installed them all on my iMac, and I don't think I touched the command line once. This was NOT THE CASE when I installed them all on a Yosemite several years ago. As it would seem, things have progressed since then.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    You have a few options all of which are easy. Apache 1.x and PHP 4 are pre-installed on your Mac. You can turn Apache on and off via the Sharing System Preference via the "Personal Web Sharing" option. PHP 4 is not active by default however and you'll have to edit your httpd.conf apache config file to enable.

If you want PHP 5 instead you should download and install Marc Liyanage's package from entropy.ch. I believe it also configures itself with apache and will work immediately after installation without any config tweaking.

Getting MySQL installed is also a simple affair. MySQL provides double-click installers that you can download from their website for versions 4.0, 4.1, and 5. It even includes a System Preference to turn the DB on and off. In all cases all the standard command line stuff is still installed. If you want to start/stop mysql with calls to mysqladmin go for it.

Now if you want to be super elite, you can also compile and install Zend's PHP Optimizer and eAccelerator, an open source PHP accelerator which compiles and caches your scripts in memory for a huge performance boost among other features. This is a topic for another post though...
  • Reply 8 of 8
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Just got my Mac Pro and realized that MySQL hasn't posted a 64 bit version of MySQL for x86 systems. Oh the humanity!