Upgrade quandry - looking for advice

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm looking at upgrading my tv/mac system in my new place. I'm getting a large (40"+) LCD tv to watch a lot of DVD's and avi's on via a mac. Currently I have a Dual 2.0 ghz G5 PowerMac. This is a bit too big so I'm looking at a smaller options. I have an Intel iMac in the study where I do most of my work from.

The tv machine is going to be hidden in a closet to the side of the tv with the wires through the wall. so it doesn't particularly matter if I get the imac as I'll only see the one screen. I'm not intending to use it for anything overly processor intensive - tv watching, dvd, iLife suite etc.

Here are my thoughts, I'd appreciate any advice or experiences anyone can share.

1) 1.8 Ghz Mac Mini - boost the ram to 2gb and buy an external HD for the unit

2) 17" 2.0 ghz Core 2 Duo iMac with max ram - graphics card is the plus here - do I need this shift from integrated to a GPU?

3) MacBook with expanded ram = this is basically a mac mini with a screen isn't it?

I figure all of these would retail close to $1300 CDN with corporate discount so it's down to the ability of the machine really.

I entered the Xbench data for my G5 today and compared it with a mac mini and the little guy seemed to do really well against it.

Any advice any one can offer would be great.

thanks

Adge