Ram Question

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I just ordered a 20" Imac Core 2 Duo with 1 gig of ram (2x512). I was just wondering what ram was the best type of ram to get for it? Also, would it make sense for me to have 1 gig, and 2x512 stick of ram in it? I was thinking of putting another gig into it and just needed some help on it. Also does anyone know any good websites to order ram off of? Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    the best type of ram to get is the cheapest you can find, that works. Do a google search for 1GB PC5300 SODIMM.

I suspect the iMac has two ram slots, so one 512MB will have to come out. You may opt for 2GB, as more is almost always better, and each stick should cost approx $100 USD.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    cheapest the best?? really?

I was wondering is it better to have a 1GB card or two 512mb's?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    http://www.newegg.com

I don't know if you need paired chips or not
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kzelk4

I just ordered a 20" Imac Core 2 Duo with 1 gig of ram (2x512). I was just wondering what ram was the best type of ram to get for it? Also, would it make sense for me to have 1 gig, and 2x512 stick of ram in it? I was thinking of putting another gig into it and just needed some help on it

The best memory discussion yet occurs mid-way through this thread.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....rt=50&tstart=0

Quote:

Also does anyone know any good websites to order ram off of? Thanks for the help.

Crucial is the retail outlet of Micron, which seems to be the current supplier of the RAM found so far in the Mac Pro's. Inspections have found the part numbers to be same, though the stickers are not. It's perhaps your safest bet, thought their prices are high now, reflecting the demand. (I ordered at $408 for 2GB, as opposed to today's $499.) I suggest that you prowl their site daily and wait for adjustments.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...20Pro&tabid=AM
  • Reply 5 of 9
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blascock

cheapest the best?? really?

I was wondering is it better to have a 1GB card or two 512mb's?

You probably don't want to go too cheap. $100/GB is a fair price. I just bought a pair of Corsair 1GB DIMMs last week for $95 each, but I guess that was a sale that's over now, I'm glad I jumped on that deal.

For all but the very cheapest iMac, you don't get a benefit from pairing the memory. It's probably better to get one 1GB, so if you need to upgrade, you'll already have an open slot.

Just make sure that it is the right type for your machine, current iMac needs DDR2 667 (PC2 5300), with a decent warranty, a decent return policy and try to run a good memory test to make sure it's good.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Is it always better to have a 1 gb stick instead of 2x512?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Is it always better to have a 1 gb stick instead of 2x512?

No. Sometimes it's better one way, or better the other way. With the $1199 and up iMacs, you leave a slot open for upgrade if you get a 1x1GB.

If you get the cheapest current iMac with the integrated graphics, or the Mac Book or mini (all are currently integrated graphics), getting 2x512 is a little faster than 1x1GB, though I don't know by how much. If you later upgrade with just a gig stick, then 1x1 and a 1x512 means that it doesn't run quite as fast as it would if it had matched pairs.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

I just ordered a 20" Imac Core 2 Duo with 1 gig of ram (2x512). I was just wondering what ram was the best type of ram to get for it? Also, would it make sense for me to have 1 gig, and 2x512 stick of ram in it? I was thinking of putting another gig into it and just needed some help on it. Also does anyone know any good websites to order ram off of? Thanks for the help.

try these:

macsolutions.com

memorysolutions.com

ramjet.com

macsales.com

crucial.com

some or all may have ram for the Core 2 Duo. I'm also researching but for Core Duo.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    ? macsolutions.com

? memorysolutions.com

? ramjet.com

? macsales.com

? crucial.com

check these out to see if they help. With the exception of crucial which the link is found here at yours truly appleinsider.com, the others were on the back of my MacWorld mag.

On another note check out raindesigninc.com they have a cool base for the iMac for stability since Apple didn't have children in mind and I have 3, it helps to know that my (precious) is a little bit safer. An Ebayer was selling his where the screen was messed up from hitting the floor thanks to his feline friend. He should've bought the i360. I wonder what he did with the cat. Hmmmmm...