the iphone should not play music.

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
i rarely start a topic here at AI but i'd really like to hear your opinion on this.

to me, this whole trend, where cell phones merge with mp3 players is just wrong.

my main complaint is that cell phones aren't very good when it comes to battery time, specially if you talk a lot like i do. same with ipods. a single charge doesn't provide too many hours of playing time.

so now you're telling me that the iphone may be a phone with an ipod built right into it? are we going to share the same battery between a cell phone and an ipod? i think that is not a good idea.

i LOVE using my ipod. i LOVE using my cellphone. but i would really hate to lose the charge of my cell phone because i spent the whole day listening to music, and vice-versa.

so, i think the iphone shouldn't be an ipod. i'm not even sure it should play music. it probably will because now most new cell phones play music and take pictures/video. will the iphone also come with a camera? if apple thinks it must integrate music playing capabilities in order to compete with other phones, then they are surely contemplating the integration of a camera too.

iphone should not be an ipod. it should only be a phone. period. i don't think this will be the case, though. tell me why i'm wrong or something.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut

i rarely start a topic here at AI but i'd really like to hear your opinion on this.

to me, this whole trend, where cell phones merge with mp3 players is just wrong.

my main complaint is that cell phones aren't very good when it comes to battery time, specially if you talk a lot like i do. same with ipods. a single charge doesn't provide too many hours of playing time.

so now you're telling me that the iphone may be a phone with an ipod built right into it? are we going to share the same battery between a cell phone and an ipod? i think that is not a good idea.

i LOVE using my ipod. i LOVE using my cellphone. but i would really hate to lose the charge of my cell phone because i spent the whole day listening to music, and vice-versa.

so, i think the iphone shouldn't be an ipod. i'm not even sure it should play music. it probably will because now most new cell phones play music and take pictures/video. will the iphone also come with a camera? if apple thinks it must integrate music playing capabilities in order to compete with other phones, then they are surely contemplating the integration of a camera too.

iphone should not be an ipod. it should only be a phone. period. i don't think this will be the case, though. tell me why i'm wrong or something.

you make a great point that I hadn't considered before.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    GUYS GUYS we should limit the device in some stupid way so fewer people will buy it!

SWEET
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

GUYS GUYS we should limit the device in some stupid way so fewer people will buy it!

SWEET

if that does wonders for battery life i wouldn't oppose. seriously.

it's not clear to me how will it all work out, with ipod's battery management not being that impressive.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Recent surveys show people aren't crazy about phones that play video also... I could care less about a phone with music capability. Actually, I'd rather have games.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    An iPod nano is rated at 14 hours of use (so, probably more like 10 hours in real life) even with its tiny built-in battery, which is pretty low in power capacity compared to what you'll find in a typical cell phone. As long as you don't have the power drain of a hard drive, I suspect you could probably get away with quite a bit of music playback use without killing your phone.

When flash memory or some other low-power solid state memory becomes practical for capacities like 60 GB, I wouldn't mind my phone and my iPod being the same gadget at all, provided of course that this gadget is good at all of the things it does, and does quite a number of things -- I'm afraid I've become enamored of the Swiss Army knife approach to cell phones.

For now, I'll stick with my separate iPod, because I like to have a large library of music with me, and because I mostly listen in my car anyway. But if I could get 60 GB into a lightweight phone with good battery life, and stick my whole music collection in there with room to spare? Hey, why not!? Just as long as it's quad-band GSM, tri-band UMTS/HSPDA Bluetooth camera PDA videophone speakerphone with a QWERTY keypad too.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shetline

An iPod nano is rated at 14 hours of use (so, probably more like 10 hours in real life) even with its tiny built-in battery, which is pretty low in power capacity compared to what you'll find in a typical cell phone. As long as you don't have the power drain of a hard drive, I suspect you could probably get away with quite a bit of music playback use without killing your phone.

When flash memory or some other low-power solid state memory becomes practical for capacities like 60 GB, I wouldn't mind my phone and my iPod being the same gadget at all, provided of course that this gadget is good at all of the things it does, and does quite a number of things -- I'm afraid I've become enamored of the Swiss Army knife approach to cell phones.

For now, I'll stick with my separate iPod, because I like to have a large library of music with me, and because I mostly listen in my car anyway. But if I could get 60 GB into a lightweight phone with good battery life, and stick my whole music collection in there with room to spare? Hey, why not!? Just as long as it's quad-band GSM, tri-band UMTS/HSPDA Bluetooth camera PDA videophone speakerphone with a QWERTY keypad too.

and it can be yours for only... 999,999,999!!!!!

( kudos to anyone that catches the reference )
  • Reply 7 of 10
    *Incoming Game, Incoming Game*
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ar4wY

*Incoming Game, Incoming Game*

man I knew I made it too easy.

here is your totally random present.

I would of given you a cookie but....
  • Reply 9 of 10
    maybe if if the iphone has user replaceable batteries, then i wouldn't mind sharing battery time between music playing and phone calls.

but then again, that doesn't sound very apple-like even though every cell phone i've ever seen has removable batteries.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    I want a phone that can text, no camera, and maybe 1-2gb of flash memory to play music and have space for music ringtones etc. nothing fancy just a simple phone not do everything pod