OS X & Windows programming

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In reading numerous post on here, I am wondering how exactly Apple's OS stays ahead of Windows all the time, is the underlying code better ? (ie: the language) or is it sloppy programmer error? Im not a programmer, but I always read somewhere that Win's code is big & bloated etc..

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Because Apple's system is unix based, the core code has been developed by a far greater number of people than the devs at the company. Windows development is limited to the people at Microsoft.

There are also reports going around of bad management in the Microsoft camp.

Another thing was that Apple decided to use Objective-C, which seems to be a better language to use when dealing with large amounts of code because it's a cleaner language than C++.

One of the best things Apple brings to the table is standards compliance, even compliance with their own standards like when dealing with the interface. This is why Apple's developments not only look nice but they make sense. You can compare Expose with the equivalent in Vista. Vista stacks all the windows on top of each other so you can't see what's in them so it's not very helpful whereas expose lays the windows out.

As for bloat, OS X has its share of bloat too. Bear in mind that the default install of OS X takes up about 1.5GB for the system alone but XP Pro takes about 600MB entirely. Also, Windows will run adequately on old hardware whereas OS X will not.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

Also, Windows will run adequately on old hardware whereas OS X will not.

Huh??
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

As for bloat, OS X has its share of bloat too. Bear in mind that the default install of OS X takes up about 1.5GB for the system alone but XP Pro takes about 600MB entirely. Also, Windows will run adequately on old hardware whereas OS X will not.

Let's see what Vista takes up whaen installed. I bet the gap narrows.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

\\ Windows will run adequately on old hardware whereas OS X will not.

Id have to disagree with you to a point on that statment.. I was running it on up until this Jan, a G3 300mhz with 10.3.9 and it ran pretty well, compaired to earlier versions of OS X. Apple tends to improve their OS with every new release.