Windows XP Pro for Bootcamp

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Can someone tell me if this is a good install disc for Bootcamp and/or Parallels.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116059

I want to jump on this if so. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    It's fine for Parallels. Bootcamp requires a proper XP SP2 installation. That disc is SP2b which is just a newer version of SP2 so I would imagine it will be fine.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

It's fine for Parallels. Bootcamp requires a proper XP SP2 installation. That disc is SP2b which is just a newer version of SP2 so I would imagine it will be fine.

I guess I need to read the documentation for Bootcamp. Can you explain "proper XP SP2 installation"? Thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    He means Boot Camp requires a single disk that has XP SP2 on it - in other words you can't use a "non-SP2" XP disk and then apply SP2.

I don't do Windows, but there are ways to make a non-SP2 XP disk include SP2 - it is called slipstreaming.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy

He means Boot Camp requires a single disk that has XP SP2 on it - in other words you can't use a "non-SP2" XP disk and then apply SP2.

I don't do Windows, but there are ways to make a non-SP2 XP disk include SP2 - it is called slipstreaming.

Oh, okay. The Windows XP install disk that I bought is a single disk installer with SP2B. I was really wondering if the Service Pack being 2B might throw some problems in the mix, but it didn't.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Well, I installed last night, and I think it's still in crappy SATA mode, but hell if I'm going to spend the extra effort to reinstall again.