Firewire: Windows -> Mac

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I know Mac->Mac can use Migration Assistant, but is there any software or what steps do I take to successfully transfer files over a firewire cable from Windows->Mac ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mordak

I know Mac->Mac can use Migration Assistant, but is there any software or what steps do I take to successfully transfer files over a firewire cable from Windows->Mac ?

You should be able to setup the firewire to be a network interface on both machines. Look for it in the relevant control panels. Under XP your firewire should show up as a network interface. (Never tried it, as I have a $5 ethernet crossover cable, but you may need to manually assign IPs).

The other thing you can do is put your mac in target disk mode, and write to it from the pc as a removable drive. (Never tried it as I don't use dv on my pcs so never had the need for a fw board)

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58583

Either way, no migration assistance available, just mechanisms to copy your files.

-t
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mordak

Once you have the network up and running, either

Enable file sharing on your windows machine and on apple go Connect to server...

enter in the following:

smb://win_ip

hit connect, and follow the prompts. (where win_ip is the ip address of your windows machine, eg smb://192.168.1.1).

or

enable windows file sharing on your mac and then on pc, Start->run... and enter in

\\\\mac_ip

where mac_ip is your mac's ip address.

I guess FW target mode is the easiest after all...

-t
  • Reply 3 of 5
    im not sure if the FW Target mode will work on a windows machine, however, the ethernet transfering was going VERY slow... insanely slow. not sure what the issue was.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    the target disk mode worked, but only because i have a 32gb windows parition that popped up. im transfering portions through thta. its quite fast
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tag Me Back

Once you have the network up and running, either

Enable file sharing on your windows machine and on apple go Connect to server...

enter in the following:

smb://win_ip

hit connect, and follow the prompts. (where win_ip is the ip address of your windows machine, eg smb://192.168.1.1).

-t

Could you got into a bit more detail with this, lik where is the Connect to server.. bit and what ever comes afer that?

ty