Windows Shell

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I recently bought a MacBook (10.4.7) and I absolutly adore it, but one thing I really wish is that I could run my games and what-not on it (before I bought my MB, I had used a PC so I have a lot of games on the PC). Well, I heard something about running the games and stuff in a "Windows Shell" and I got interested.

I have a few questions for you guys: 1) Where can I get a Windows Shell?

2) How safe is it for my computer? (I'm pretty much a computer n00b and I want to know that it is safe before I do it)

3) What other things do I need to put on my computer for this to run optimally?

4) If I do get it, how easy would it be to figure out how to run it?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Unacceptable62

I recently bought a MacBook (10.4.7) and I absolutly adore it, but one thing I really wish is that I could run my games and what-not on it (before I bought my MB, I had used a PC so I have a lot of games on the PC). Well, I heard something about running the games and stuff in a "Windows Shell" and I got interested.

I have a few questions for you guys: 1) Where can I get a Windows Shell?

2) How safe is it for my computer? (I'm pretty much a computer n00b and I want to know that it is safe before I do it)

3) What other things do I need to put on my computer for this to run optimally?

4) If I do get it, how easy would it be to figure out how to run it?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

You can run windows natively by installing XP via boot camp. As far as gaming goes, you don't have a good machine for that as the Macbook has intergrated graphics. Graphics intensive games aren't going to play well.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Ok, you are going to have to explain this boot camp thing. And it's not necessarily games that I need it for, at my college I am taking this one computer programming class, and the only at home copy of the program that I have seen is only available for Windows, so that would be nice.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Unacceptable62

Ok, you are going to have to explain this boot camp thing. And it's not necessarily games that I need it for, at my college I am taking this one computer programming class, and the only at home copy of the program that I have seen is only available for Windows, so that would be nice.

Boot camp software allows you to partition your harddrive and install windows. When you boot up you pick the os you want to run. Parrallels is a virtual solution that allows you to run windows like an app with out having to reboot when you switch os. Not fast enough currently to do gaming from what I understand.