iPod search

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I downloaded iTunes 7 and updated my 30gig 5G ipod to firmware 1.2. I see the new letters when I scroll fast, but I can't figure out how to search by letter/keyword the way Steve demoed during the keynote.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    yea well if u go fast enough it goes by letter but i still cant figure out how to do it by keyword. maybe its only on *new* ipods.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Well if it doesn't have it, it doesn't have it. Just so long as it supports the 640x480 content they have now I'm totally cool. And the addition of the drive-by letters is nice. So in other words any addition is nice.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ApplePi

Well if it doesn't have it, it doesn't have it. Just so long as it supports the 640x480 content they have now I'm totally cool. And the addition of the drive-by letters is nice. So in other words any addition is nice.

Agreed. I love the new letter pop-up. Funny thing though, it looks like the menu feature that was announced for the Zuma interface. "Cupertino, start your photocopiers."
  • Reply 4 of 12
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WhetWurm

Funny thing though, it looks like the menu feature that was announced for the Zuma interface.

Ah, but iPhoto has had something similar for a while now. Redmond's already been using their copiers.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    According to the manual the search is an item in the Music menu. Did you look there?

It's pretty cool that these new features work on the "old" 5th gen. I just bought a refurb 30GB for only $179. It'll play the games, and have the other features (Search, too, hopefully!).

$70 less just for less screen brightness and a bit of battery life? Pretty sweet, I think.

(Oh, and @ Whetwurm it's Zune. Zuma is the new, Apple-designed, game for the 5G iPod. And the size of the universe is governed by the number of stars in it, isn't it? So I'm roughly 12.8 times more intelligent then you )
  • Reply 6 of 12
    I looked it up on the apple site and the search doesn't work on 5g iPods. Only the 5.5g. O Well. Did the firmware update give you guys a "brightness" control? Or when you sync your iPod does it stay in a really dim lite screen mode all the time?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrBlack08

Did the firmware update give you guys a "brightness" control? Or when you sync your iPod does it stay in a really dim lite screen mode all the time?

Yes and yes.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash

According to the manual the search is an item in the Music menu. Did you look there?

Yup, checked all over the menu... no search feature.

Quote:

(Oh, and @ Whetwurm it's Zune. Zuma is the new, Apple-designed, game for the 5G iPod. And the size of the universe is governed by the number of stars in it, isn't it? So I'm roughly 12.8 times more intelligent then you )

Yeah, I goofed on the spelling. I was talking about downloading Zuma in another thread. I meant Zune.

As for the universe... no, its size is not governed by the number of stars within. It's governed by the theoretical rotational acceleration of its mass. That mass is comprised of much more than just star-matter. If it were, we'd have to exclude planets, comets, dark matter and namely, us.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WhetWurm

Yup, checked all over the menu... no search feature.

Yeah, I goofed on the spelling. I was talking about downloading Zuma in another thread. I meant Zune.

As for the universe... no, its size is not governed by the number of stars within. It's governed by the theoretical rotational acceleration of its mass. That mass is comprised of much more than just star-matter. If it were, we'd have to exclude planets, comets, dark matter and namely, us.

Not to derail the thread or anything...

(Okay, that's exactly what I'm doing, I admit it )

Planets and comets mass <<< than star mass<--Just my guess, I don't really know for sure what the estimates of this are.

As for dark matter, despite the time it gets on the news it's not really something that's known for sure--it just happens to be a possible model that explains some observable phenomenon. There are other possible explanations--this one I just learned about tonight in Advanced Dynamics class for instance. Instead of postulating the existence of an invisible influence to explain the observed mass discrepancy, the MOND ideas involve reexamining our understanding of acceleration.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    just thought you guy's would be interested... yet comppletely off topic

http://www1.umn.edu/umnnews/Feature_...s_beaming.html <---- my physics proff is one of the leading scientists.

back on topic---> I get the letter preview on my 5G, but no search function. Kind of dissapointing. it wouldn't be a very hard thing to impliment, although it does help apple sell a few more iPods. (lets say mr.x has a 5G that's all scratched up and a load of extra cash, he'd probably get one becase of 1. Screen Brightness, 2. Battery Life, and 3. Search.

come to think of it, 3 new features? let's refer to this iPod as a 5.3 gen.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    were there any software updates for the 1st gen nanos?
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvolker

just thought you guy's would be interested... yet comppletely off topic

http://www1.umn.edu/umnnews/Feature_...s_beaming.html <---- my physics proff is one of the leading scientists.

back on topic---> I get the letter preview on my 5G, but no search function. Kind of dissapointing. it wouldn't be a very hard thing to impliment, although it does help apple sell a few more iPods. (lets say mr.x has a 5G that's all scratched up and a load of extra cash, he'd probably get one becase of 1. Screen Brightness, 2. Battery Life, and 3. Search.

come to think of it, 3 new features? let's refer to this iPod as a 5.3 gen.

Off-topic---> Cool article. thanks.

It's interesting though that Apple seems to only have one 5th gen. manual on their support site. I didn't look very closely, though; maybe the other one is hidden in there somewhere. BTW, the old 5th gen.===very cheap refurbished. I've got a 30GB on the way for $179...