DeLorme: no Street Atlas USA MacOS X support

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
From Macfixit today:

[quote] DeLorme dropping Mac Support Paul L. Majewski had correspondence with DeLorme Mapping that indicates the company will not pursue development of an OS X version of its Street Mapping tool. A company representative writes:

"DeLorme has long enjoyed the support of Mac users who chose to use Street Atlas USA. Recently we performed a thorough investigation into continuing this support in the form of new releases specifically for the Macintosh OS X platform. Unfortunately the results lead to the business decision that the enormous investment required would be very risky and would not return sufficient revenue to meet our business goals. This is strictly a business decision and is understandably disappointing to previous version users, as well as DeLorme and Apple. At this time we do not have plans to release any new Mac-based titles."

<hr></blockquote>

They won't be releasing updated versions of Street Atlas for OS X. Does anyone know how much this SUCKS? I bought version 2 and 3 of Street Atlas USA. I'd been waiting a long time for an updated version, now that I have an iBook, my first portable besides some old 520c's which are just beaters. I met someone a few years ago who had a Pismo with Street Atlas and he had a GPS box or something which showed his car on the Street Atlas. His car turned, so his indicator did on the map. This was very impressive. Kinda like something in a spy movie. Yet practical! No more asking for directions :o

They never even released their Topo software for Mac, I don't think. (I was in Maine college searching and stopped in to see the biggest globe in the world, and look at DeLorme's latest software for the Mac. Disappointing, at least the lack of Mac software that is. The globe is great! Go see it!)

Does anyone know if anyone else makes software like Street Atlas for Macs? (OS X would be nice!)

edit: A petition wouldn't help would it? I'm so sad about this!

[ 08-09-2002: Message edited by: Aquatik ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Delorme's poor Mac attitude does suck. I got the same response to a recent inquiry. F**k them.

I have heard that a program called Route 66 runs on OS X and is like Street Atlas, but it's not as up to date. It's probably fine though and the differences likely minor.

I have heard that some of the National Geographic Topo software runs on the mac (not sure if it's OS X though).
  • Reply 2 of 14
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Regarding markets for Apple... cue Another One Bites the Dust music.

Damnit it's getting really annoying seeing good developers leave the Mac platform. Screw G5s, the real reason Apple's in trouble is stuff like this.

DeLorme wants MORE money for the v. 6.0 Mac version than the 9.0 PC version!

I'm checking on those other packages but they don't sound as good. Anyone used them?

Anyone else use their Mac for this kind of stuff? If you don't, try it! Street Atlas USA R.I.P. was great.

• Reply 3 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by Aquatik:

<strong>

Damnit it's getting really annoying seeing good developers leave the Mac platform. Screw G5s, the real reason Apple's in trouble is stuff like this.

DeLorme wants MORE money for the v. 6.0 Mac version than the 9.0 PC version!</strong><hr></blockquote>

I wouldn't exactly refer to them as good developers then.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    *Sigh* they were, a long time ago. This was a great use for a computer, especially a PowerBook or iBook.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member

Damnit it's getting really annoying seeing good developers leave the Mac platform.<hr></blockquote>

I agree. On the flip side, however, here are a couple of products that are new to the Mac platform since Mac OS X (just off the top of my head):

Vue d'Esprit

Maya

SketchUp

Also: QuickBooks making a return..

Is there a trend here? Or two? Seems like we're seeing some old school developers dropping the Mac, while some other developers are seeing new opportunities with Mac OS X. I don't know if it balances out, but it's interesting.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    I think Apple lost a whole market here though, since DeLorme was the only one to do this kind of stuff on the Mac. However there may be other software developers with similar products out there, for the Mac.. I will be sure to check up on this next month, at U. Rhode Island. I assume they'll know because they have a big GIS/GPS/mapping lab. PC though

[ 08-07-2002: Message edited by: Aquatik ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Man do I LOVE Street Atlas and my Delorme Earthmate GPS. This is hands-down the most functional thing on my KeyLime. I've been using it since I got the iBook nearly two years ago and I will never take OS9 off that computer unless Delorme makes an OSX version...which I guess will never happen.

I've considered getting the PC version of Street Atlas and trying to run it with Virtual PC, but I can't guarantee that the GPS will work.

I keep looking for <a href="http://www.macgps.com"; target="_blank">alternative programs</a>, but for those of us who have used it, it is a huge bite in the *ss that Delorme isn't making an OSX version.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Michael Grey great post! Thanks for that link, but on their site the link for MacGPS is broken. And they don't sound like a Street Atlas. GPSy apparently links to Street Atlas somehow though...

Man, if you have Street Atlas, you understand! Michael Grey what version do you have? I was just about to see if there was an upgrade for OS X, since I have 3.0 but then this news hit me. Street Atlas USA would've been invaluable to me since I'm going off to college and don't know anything about Rhode Island, except that Me, Myself, & Irene was funny, and their bridges look nice. Once my dad accidentally drove over two huge bridges by accident (near Kingston going to URI) and it took us half an hour to get back on track! Without Street Atlas of course... I don't even know if version 3 is compatible with 9.2.2, the last time I used it was on my ol' IIsi!

I also considered VirtualPC for Street Atlas. But you raised a good question: will GPS units work? I may try this the coming year, I'll be sure to let you know.

Anyone else here use (used) Street Atlas? I think it's incredible that out here in rural Vermont, they mapped out driveways near me almost perfectly! This is a great use for a laptop.

edit: after clicking on the link to "software" I clicked on MacGPS and here is the error message: "macgps-07.hqx: No such file or directory" This is at: <a href="ftp://hyperarchive.lcs.mit.edu/info-mac/sci/macgps-07.hqx"; target="_blank">ftp://hyperarchive.lcs.mit.edu/info-mac/sci/macgps-07.hqx</a>; Some GPSy screenshots are in System 7 by the way! :eek:

[ 08-07-2002: Message edited by: Aquatik ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 14
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member

<strong>I think Apple lost a whole market here though, since DeLorme was the only one to do this kind of stuff on the Mac.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Guys: I admit that it's sad that DeLorme will not update its products for OS X. But there are alternatives. Have a look at <a href="http://www.gpsy.com/"; target="_blank">GPSy</a>! It lets you use your own maps. (I haven't checked it out in a while, but I seem to remember it's OS X native.)

[Edit: Oops. It looks like GPSy hasn't been updated in over two years and is not Carbonized. What a shame! That's too bad. ]

Escher

[ 08-07-2002: Message edited by: Escher ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 14
    [quote] It looks like GPSy hasn't been updated in over two years and is not Carbonized. What a shame! That's too bad. <hr></blockquote>

Exactly. GPSy is no Street Atlas USA. Now it's no more period. Those screenshots are in System 7 like I said. I hope someone in the GIS department of URI can help me. I'm still looking for alternatives, I'll keep y'all posted. Because this kind of thing is an invaluable tool when you don't know your surroundings. I've only been to Rhode Island twice now, and Boston three times.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Sorry Aquatik, but I think we're out of luck. If I were you I would scour eBay and other resources for a used copy of Street Atlas 6 for the Mac...and if at all possible get the Earthmate GPS. A really great device, although expensive (especially considering you have to buy the $49 USB adapter). But even though this is years-old software it is still the best -- and practially the only -- thing out there. I know because I've been looking since I got mine in 2000. There is 'Route 66' but from what I've read it doesn't come close. And it takes up 3GB?! With Street Atlas you have the choice of running with the data disc or copying the data to your HD...which is only about 600MB.

I'm not really much of a tekkie and I don't know a longitude from a latitude, but with Street Atlas and the Earthmate GPS it is practially impossible to get lost in the continental U.S. (and this coming from a guy who can lost in a walk-in closet).
  • Reply 12 of 14
    [quote] I'm not really much of a tekkie and I don't know a longitude from a latitude, but with Street Atlas and the Earthmate GPS it is practially impossible to get lost in the continental U.S. (and this coming from a guy who can lost in a walk-in closet). <hr></blockquote>

Hehe, me too! When I get to Rhode Island, this will be me --&gt; :confused:

By the way Michael Grey have you ever seen Dead Man on Campus? If so remember the crazy kid (the reeeally crazy kid) who they make leave their dorm through another door, the one he didn't come in, telling him he's going into their closet... He's like "This is the biggest closet I've ever seen! This is amazing!..." All throughout the hallway... Your last sentence reminded me of this
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Michael Grey have you tried your Earthmate GPS in Classic/will it work? Thanks.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    anamacanamac Posts: 80member
    Since Delorme is a local company, I can only add that they (like many tech-oriented companies)seem to have been in normal business/financial straits for awhile. They may be scaling back lots of their products' future development.

Aquatik, at least Rhode Island is TINY, and there is a protective ocean border on several sides. It's much easier to get lost in Vermont!