MacBook or iMac?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm in my second year of sixth form and I'm looking to buy either a MacBook or an iMac at the end of this month. I don't know which I should purchase. I'm going to uni next year but is a laptop really a necessity?

I'll be using the mac for:

School work, Internet, Music, Web Design, Moving Making (Hopefully want to be using Final Cut Pro/Express), Playing games (nothing hardcore).

I suppose my questions are related to the computer, but also related to the necessity of having a laptop at uni. Obviously a desktop is more powerful, but a laptop is portable etc. Weighing up the pros and cons, what do you think (in your opinion), comes out on top?

Please wish to include any extra features about the two systems that may sway my decision.

Cheers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    I'm sorry, I'm most likely old enough to be your dad and I've been out of the loop for a while, but what is "uni"?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    University
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I've been sort of going through the same thing as you, weighing between the MBP and iMac. I've decided on going the iMac route, here's why:

- The specs per dollar far out-weigh the MB/MBP.

- I don't think I could get used to the 13" screen.

- I've owned both a laptop and desktop (in the PC world) when I was in college. Even with my laptop, I used it 95% of the time in my dorm/apt. Unless you're really going to be using it in the classroom or in between classes, I would say the iMac.

- Also, laptop theft is pretty common at colleges/universities (at least here in the states). It's a little tougher to lug an iMac out of someones dorm/apt and not look suspicious.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I do web design, music and internet all on an old Pismo that is more than sufficient, so that shouldn't even be a concern. It the movie progs that you should wonder about. FCP can be pretty labor intensive on the cpu and wonder about the MB handling it well. Express may be a better choice. Have you looked at Apples specs?

If you go the route of FCP, can you afford an MBP instead?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Also, being on campus there may be many many times that you wish you had a portable. Ie. library, classroom, sitting out in the grass, and I'm sure that they have a wireless area setup. Seems to make more sence as a student. If a monitor is a problem you can always pick up a used one, cheap to keep in your dorm room, an hook up to it when your there.

Don't mind me, but I have this thing about being tethered.

The only downside of a portable, for a student, may be battery life.

If theft is that bad, then the only thing to suggest is to keep it with you.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Sitting out on the grass in the UK hahahahah.

I'm interested in this thread. We've limited space at home so was thinking about the MBP v's imac. Will see what others say to.