Gapless Album

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Trying out the new "Gapless Album" feature in iTunes, which seems to work great, but it doesn't seem to work on my iPod. Unless I'm mistaken, I thought the new iPod firmware added support for this feature, but it doesn't seem to work for me. I've double-checked that the tracks on my iPod have the option turned on...

?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    My impression was that the new iPods support gapless playback (at least the new video iPods), but whether a software update will bring gapless to older iPods, I don't know.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jabohn

Trying out the new "Gapless Album" feature in iTunes, which seems to work great, but it doesn't seem to work on my iPod. Unless I'm mistaken, I thought the new iPod firmware added support for this feature, but it doesn't seem to work for me. I've double-checked that the tracks on my iPod have the option turned on...

?

Have you made sure that your iPod firmware is up to date?

Jan
  • Reply 3 of 11
    I've got a video iPod which I bought in Feb. I know it has the new firmware because I can play the new games on it (I bought 2 of them).

According to this article, the gapless feature works on an iPod updated to the latest firmware:

http://playlistmag.com/features/2006...s7fl/index.php
  • Reply 4 of 11
    I have the latest firmware and Gapless playback works on my 4G iPod.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mackilroy

Okay, so it SHOULD be working on my 5th gen video iPod. I'm going to double-check everything again. I must be missing something.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    I've double-checked... everything is set right. I then went to test playing the songs in question (it's from an album where there are 2 songs that flow together) from the iPod but in iTunes and it plays back with no gap, yet there is a gap when played on just the iPod.

Out of curiosity, I tried another album (from a concert) on the iPod and it played with no gaps. Can't figure out why it doesn't work with the other album. I even deleted the album on the iPod and reloaded them - no such luck.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jabohn

I've double-checked... everything is set right. I then went to test playing the songs in question (it's from an album where there are 2 songs that flow together) from the iPod but in iTunes and it plays back with no gap, yet there is a gap when played on just the iPod.

Out of curiosity, I tried another album (from a concert) on the iPod and it played with no gaps. Can't figure out why it doesn't work with the other album. I even deleted the album on the iPod and reloaded them - no such luck.

Have you made sure that both albums are marked down as Compilations? That might make a difference, but i don't know.

What you're suggesting is that your iPod is playing gaplessly on one album, but not the other, right? If so, try and work out what the difference between the two is.

I've noticed that with iTunes 7, if you have a mixed CD, the 'Part of a Gapless Album' box makes no difference. It'll play it back gapless regardless. Which is fine by me = )
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Ahhh, mystery solved. The difference was the tracks that had a gap had a large amount of album artwork in them (multiple photos). Removing them from the iPod tracks made the gaplessness return.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mackilroy

Are you sure? Doesn't work on mine. Perhaps you have a 5th generation iPod?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    The enemy, revealed:

What you see above is the boundary where tracks 1 and 2 of an album have been spliced together. The gap is part of what was decoded as valid audio at the end of the first track. The gap is only about 6.6 msec, or about 1/150 of a second long... but you can still hear it when it's played. (The gap only shows up here at the trailing edge of the first track, but I've seen part of an inter-track gap at the leading edge of some tracks too.)

When I convert AAC tracks into AIFF now using iTunes 7, at least AAC tracks of newer vintage, and load up those up into Amadeus II (the audio editor I use), there are no gaps any more. If, however, I directly open an AAC file with Amadeus II, I still get gaps -- indicating, it would seem, that Amadeus II does not yet know how to take advantage of gapless encoding.