How's the Audio on the 24" Imac??

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I noticed that the amp/speakers built into the new 24" Imac are twice as powerful as the other versions. Has anybody compared them? How do they sound??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enderokc

I noticed that the amp/speakers built into the new 24" Imac are twice as powerful as the other versions. Has anybody compared them? How do they sound??

I listened to one in an Apple store this week. Its not bad, but if you really want a good range and volume, you are going to need something more. Typical for computer speakers, the iMac lacks bass response and has an overemphasized midrange. Like I said, not bad, but if you are going to be consistently watching movies or listening to your music collection, I would get something external.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    More importantly, what is the quality of the analog line out? If it's good, it'll save me from having to get a standalone DAC.

David
  • Reply 3 of 4
    At the apple store, they had that iMac hooked up to a harmon kardon clear plastic speaker system. I had them unhook it so I could listen to the stock speakers. With those harmon kardons, the sound was very nice. The audio out port is also digital, so I would think that any good speaker system or receiver with optical input would be just fine.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Talking of external sound systems which are the best of there for a movie like experience. Soundsticks seem to be a solid system. I have the iSub and that works great, any other suggestions?