iTunes 7 - Poor ripping speeds

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
It seems that iTunes 7 has degraded the ripping speed on my machine significantly.

I used to get 20x speed with 6.0.5 but with 7.0 I only get at max 5x.

It is not related to the CD or any setting as they are the same as I used with 6.0.5

A number of people in the Apple discussion boards are noting this issue.

Not sure what has caused it yet, but some have claimed it is related to the size of the library you have.

Hopefully Apple will sort this out, as it needs to go back to normal speeds to be of use.

Ian

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I'd suggest using iTunes-LAME (if you're on a Mac) because it is a far better encoder.

As for actually using iTunes... It's seems like there's both software (your ripping speed) and hardware (iPod Nano transfer rate) slowdown going on. Odd that.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    I've actually noticed the exact opposite with the new version. I'm running 10.4.7 and my ripping speeds have almost doubled.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky

It seems that iTunes 7 has degraded the ripping speed on my machine significantly...

... Hopefully Apple will sort this out, as it needs to go back to normal speeds to be of use.

Ian

Yep super slow ripping (average 3.5x versus 18x normal) here too. Rumours are 7.0.1 will be on the streets soon.