What is that delay before wmv movies play in QT?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
It's interesting.. with the previous version of quicktime, if you had flip4mac installed and tried playing a format like wmv, asf, etc. it would pop open a window, there would be a delay and you would have the spinning beachball, and then the movie would start playing.

In the new version of QT that came out with itunes 7 if you try to do the same thing, nothing happens, no window, no beachball, and then it pops open and starts playing.

If you use VLC, there is no delay, and it starts playing immediately.

What IS that delay QT has opening up non-.mov movies?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    I will answer my own question:

From a post elsewhere on the web:

"That's why there is a slight delay when Flip4Mac plays a .wmv, it loads the entire movie first before it plays so you get smooth, drop-out free playback. The other benefit is that you get live instantaneous scrubbing and playback for any point in the movie. With WMP player, you can move the playback marker, but you have to wait a half year for WMP to figure out where you want the movie to resume playing, and there's no such thing as live scrubbing at all. For relatively short clips, this isn't that big of a deal, but for longer clips, it's a big deal, especially for longer, higher quality .wmv files which generally perform terribly on WMP for the Mac."

And of course the advantage of playing WMVs in QT is smoothing of jaggies, etc. which I do notice.

So thumbs up.

But I wouldn't want to load a huge WMV before playing.