iTunes Movies: Dolby Digital?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Can anyone confirm that the movies sold over iTunes are 5.1 Dolby Digital encoded? Apple only references "Dolby Surround Sound" and "Pro Logic", which seems to suggest that their basically stereo encoded films with the 'hooks' for Pro Logic surround sound. I've hooked my MacBook Pro up to my HDTV, and I can live with the picture quality of these films (about on par with a standard definition $3.99 PPV from DirecTV), but the loss of digital surround sound might be a deal breaker.

I don't yet have a mini-toslink adapter I'll need to get digital sound out of my Powerbook, so I haven't been able to test it myself...

If it's not DD 5.1, what's everyone's feeling?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Jobs mentioned DD in the keynote, anyone download a movie yet?...
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple2Mac

Jobs mentioned DD in the keynote, anyone download a movie yet?...

I've downloaded 2 films, but without the mini-toslink adapter to see what my receiver is picking up, I don't know how to determine the sound encoding of these files...Is there something in the GET INFO, within iTunes, or using Quicktime that will tell me what the file includes?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Well,

I got the Tos-Link adapter and I can't believe no one has posted/complained about this yet; the movies are NOT 5.1, but rather standard stereo/Dobly Pro Logic.

The picture quality is fine on my 50" HDTV; not DVD-quality, but certainly watchable and better than an SD DirecTV PPV. The loss of true surround sound may be a deal-breaker for me in the long run, especially since you can encode DVD's in Handbrake with 5.1 while only adding a little to the file size.