iTunes DRM

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Greetings!

The problem is iTunes music services don't allow to manage your purchased music freely, and the only place you can play a file purchased through the music service is on a computer with iTunes that is authorized under your account!

Here's an interesting soft to cut the DRM scheme - Soundtaxi...

As regards Napster music service the situation is the same.

Are there any Soundtaxi users?

Cheers

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Gee, a phishing scheme for credit card info. That's nice.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Yeah, and don't think that paying $15 means you're bypassing the DRM legally, either.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut

Yeah, and don't think that paying $15 means you're bypassing the DRM legally, either.

The potential for viruses and spyware an credit card hacking scares me off. The legality of bypassing the DRM if this crap actually did work... not so much.

Anything that restores traditional fair use rights, and helps makes DRM futile, makes me happy.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Locky locky!
  • Reply 5 of 7
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut

I'm not sure if bypassing DRM in order to maintain fair-use rights has actually been tested in a U.S. court. Many believe that the DMCA allows for DRM bypass for fair-use.

Soundtaxi isn't any better than burning to CD and re-ripping (cost: 1 CD-RW disc). It doesn't do anything clever to remove DRM - it just records the sound output from iTunes and re-encodes it - i.e. it's lossy, unlike JHymn (cost: free, but doesn't work anymore), QTfairUse 6, or MyFairTunes 6 (both cost: free, very new so some bugs still being worked out).
  • Reply 6 of 7
    However they've got a legal site and the prog is for registered subscribers only...
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesmerized

However they've got a legal site and the prog is for registered subscribers only...

Nothing like a reassurance from he who posted the phishing expedition in the first place.

From your post count, I see your phishing attempt was your very first post ever, and this "reassurance" of yours is your second post ever. You don't seem to have much other use for AppleInsider, do you ?

You've got that same kind of fake-friendly unctuous writing style we've all come to know and love from Nigerian "oil ministers" who desperately need our help transferring a large sum of money.