Have your MB or MBP ever overheated and crashed?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi all!!

Let me start my first post with a question.

Those of you who already have a MB or MBP, have you experienced your machines crashing because of overheating? If so, how prevelent is the problem?

The reason I ask is, my current laptop, an Acer Aspire 5000 (I know, its a pos, but it was what I could afford last year), is starting to crash quite often due to overheating. I know overheating is the problem because it never crashes if I run it in a refrigerator (yes, I actually ran it in a fridge because it would not last long enough without crashing to reinstall windows... ). Anyhoo, the crashing is becoming more frequent which leads me to think that maybe I damaged it from extended use in high temeratures over the summer. The CPU on this thing is nothing to write home about, but it does get VERY hot (I cannot keep it on my lap).

The machine I am eyeing to replace my Acer is a merom MBP when it becomes available. However, I have heard that they also have an issue of running hot. So, I'm lead to wonder, will I be looking to replace it again next year after using in un hot weather?

Any input would be welcome!!

Thanks!

J

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    It's hot. But not badly built. It handles the heat well, and the fan practically never runs loud.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    check for dust in the heatsink. that is a easy source of problems.

As for the MB, I have one and use it for video encoding in 90 degree weather. No problems whatsoever.