Intel Macs upgradable?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
So, now that Apple has thrust itself into the fastpaced Intel world and has started to upgrade their chips, the main question I have now is, Will I be able to upgrade my computer's chips when the newest chips are released, or am I going to have to buy a whole new computer?

I just bought a Macbook Pro because, well I need it, and I expected the Merom MBP to come out in 2007, not before Thanksgiving. I am actually planning on buying a MMBP when its released, and giving my current Macbook Pro to my girlfriend, but my question is, Can I order a Merom chip from Intel (or Apple I guess...) and get my original MBP's processor swapped out?

Also, more importantly, is the Mac Pro upgradable chipwise? I know it is with the Hard Drives, but no definate answer on the chipsets. I'm attempting to purchase one for film production and/or computer graphics work.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Mac Pro processors are upgradable, but Apple does not support you doing so. Works fine though
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya

Mac Pro processors are upgradable, but Apple does not support you doing so. Works fine though

Thats a relief, but any word on the other computers? I know the iMacs are mainly just RAM and HD, as well as graphics card for the 24" model, But what about the Mac Mini, Macbooks and Macbook Pros?

Also, Amorya, How were you able to find out about the upgrades for Mac Pro? If I remember right the Mac Pro hasn't gotten a chip upgrade just yet... Its still in Woodcrest right?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjayBot

Thats a relief, but any word on the other computers? I know the iMacs are mainly just RAM and HD, as well as graphics card for the 24" model, But what about the Mac Mini, Macbooks and Macbook Pros?

Also, Amorya, How were you able to find out about the upgrades for Mac Pro? If I remember right the Mac Pro hasn't gotten a chip upgrade just yet... Its still in Woodcrest right?

Mac mini is definitely upgradable, the iMac is most likely upgradable, but nothing confirmed.

anandtec.com put 8 processors in a mac pro, and I read about someone upgrading their mini to the fastest core duo.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Sweet, but what about the laptops? Those are most important to me right now, since I just got a MBP and I wanted to try to put a merom in it.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Laptops are soldered on, and not replaceable. Everything else is on a socket, and is replacable.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder

Laptops are soldered on, and not replaceable. Everything else is on a socket, and is replacable.

Drat. Oh well. Happy anniversary to my girlfriend, eh?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    The Mac Pro and Mac Mini are 100% upgradeable , People have put Merom chips in the Mac Mini and like its been said AnandTech has made the Mac Pro Octo core.

Link To Octo Core

If my memory serves me right the iMac is also upgradeable but I don't have any links.

And finally the notebooks are soldered so it's nearly impossible to replace, they key word being nearly, it is possible but from what I've read its something that only professionals with the right tools can do, and even then you need a nerve of steel to actually do it.... so yeah it's a no

Yeah btw happy anniversary!!
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Darth_Apple

The Mac Pro and Mac Mini are 100% upgradeable , People have put Merom chips in the Mac Mini and like its been said AnandTech has made the Mac Pro Octo core.

Link To Octo Core

If my memory serves me right the iMac is also upgradeable but I don't have any links.

And finally the notebooks are soldered so it's nearly impossible to replace, they key word being nearly, it is possible but from what I've read its something that only professionals with the right tools can do, and even then you need a nerve of steel to actually do it.... so yeah it's a no

Yeah btw happy anniversary!!

Awesome thanks! But now is this supported by Apple or is this on a user to user basis?

And thanks, we were high school sweethearts~ Its just a matter of finding the right time to propose
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjayBot

Awesome thanks! But now is this supported by Apple or is this on a user to user basis?

And thanks, we were high school sweethearts~ Its just a matter of finding the right time to propose

Apple does not officially support it, but neither have they done anything to prevent it... at least for the moment, so I guess its a wait and see.

Cool, I proposed to my GF about a year ago, it was a bit nerve racking buts its still one of the best moments of my life

Again congrats