iMovie HD File Formats?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I've got a few .mpg's on my system that I'd like to be able to edit though iMovie tells me they are incompatible when I try to import them. Is there a way to somehow convert these guys into a format that iMovie will be happy with? Speaking of, what are formats that iMovie are happy with?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    You need the appropriate QuickTime codecs.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    I don't know if it'll work with MPG's even with the QuickTime MPEG component—I'm pretty sure that's play only. Muxed MPEG's are the devil.

There's freeware software to convert MPEG, but I've never had much luck with it.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Any other suggestions?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Some video clips can be entered into iMovie by drag & drop despite the fact that they won't import. Try this. BTW, do you have any idea which codec was used to produce your problematic .mpg files?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me

Some video clips can be entered into iMovie by drag & drop despite the fact that they won't import. Try this. BTW, do you have any idea which codec was used to produce your problematic .mpg files?

Yeah, I've tried drag and drop to no avail. As for the codec, I really couldn't tell you. I've been holding these movie clips on a spare hard drive for a few years (circa 2001) and now that I have a computer that I can edit them with I thought I'd give it a whirl.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    This begs the question--are your old video files still intact? How did you play them back in 2001? Can you still play them today?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Try using something like VisualHub to convert them to DV.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wmf

Try using something like VisualHub to convert them to DV.

Seems to do the trick. I guess I just need to pony up and buy a VisualHub license so I can convert more then 2 minutes. Thanks for the help.