Website Creation Software

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Can anyone recommend any website creation software that's easy to use and doesn't have a steep learning curve? I've seen Dreamweaver mentioned elsewhere on AppleInsider. Would that be an appropriate candidate? I'll leave the question of recommending a place to host whatever I create for a seperate question.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    BBEdit.

You know, to do a website well, you need to know HTML. You have to know the importance of CSS, and the times you use percentages and absolute measurements, and the difference between pt and px and em. If you don't know these things, or are looking for a quick fix, don't expect good results.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    I always hand-code my pages, but you should check out <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=001302"; target="_blank">this thread.</a>
  • Reply 3 of 6
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Bah. Forget all these people who say you need to do the coding by hand. What I do is start my page/site in DW and then make changes to the code by hand (adding dynamic content, customizing layout, etc). It saves time in getting the layout right. But you should definitely learn CSS, if not HTML. CSS will make your site design so much easier and with more predictable results. Dreamweaver is my WYSIWYG of choice, though some like GoLive. There's also one called Freeway, but I don't like it at all (though some swear by it).
  • Reply 4 of 6
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    I like GoLive, but can't afford it(or any other WYSIWYG editor). That's why I hand-code.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Dreamweaver is very easy to use and can do anything you will throw at it. I tried out golive, but had a lot of problems with it, such as importing slices from photoshop. Sure, it was probably something that could be fixed, but Dreamweaver never had any problems like this.

There is no reason to type html when you have something like dreamweaver. You can make it graphically and then modify the code easily, but it seems like a waste of time to use straight code if you can afford a program like Dreamweaver.

[ 08-08-2002: Message edited by: giant ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Dreamweaver MX