can I use THIS power adapter with THIS iBook?

nvmnvm
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi there, wondering if someone can help me out.

I've got a G4 iBook, dual USB with a broken power adapter. I'm wondering if this other power adapter I have will work with it, or if i risk frying stuff.

The original is a 45W, 24.5V, 1.875 Amp (see picture, white adapter)

The "replacement", which is one year older is: 24V, 1.874 Amp, and I believe 45 Watt. It doesn't say 45 watt but I think all of these "UFO" adapters were... The plug fits well in the computer.

I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I just wanted to check before trying.

Thanks!

Niels

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    for some reason I can't post attachemnts. Here are similar links:

Broken: http://cgi.ebay.com/APPLE-A1036-45W-...QQcmdZViewItem

Replacement?: http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Yo-Yo-Powe...QQcmdZViewItem
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Anyone know if this can hurt my computer, since it has the same specs?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Electrically, that should work, but as far as I remember, the UFOs were used with older PowerBooks and the first series of white iBooks (Dual USB). Then Apple changed the connector when the G4 iBooks came out. The new connector has a smaller diameter and probably won't work. But I'm not sure.

edit: OK, I was wrong. The power adapter in the second picture seems to be the right one. There were two versions of the UFO power adapter: one with a big plug for the G3 PowerBooks and one with a smaller plug for the iBooks. So It should work!
  • Reply 4 of 6
    excellent, thanks for your response! I infact bought the wrong UFO adapter for my G3 powerbook, which uses the larger plug like you mentioned. Now I can use it on the G4 iBook.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    It will probably ruin your battery life over time.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by New

It will probably ruin your battery life over time.

Why do you think this will happen?

The 24 V (or 24.5 V, the difference is negligible) volts from the power adapter are transformed to 12 V inside the iBook by the charging circuitry, and the battery itself has about 10.5 volts (more volts are needed to charge a battery). Important is the max current the power adapter can deliver, which is 1.874 (or 1.875) amps. Electrically, both power adapters are the same (1.874 A * 24 V = 45 W).