non-Apple 23"+ displays for prospective newbie macPro buyer?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
soon to be purchasing MacPro- was wavering between new imac with it's 24 inch display but want expandability etc.... any suggestions for comparable size monitor without paying $900+ for Apple's? New to Apple world but once intel based cpu now allows running windows environment also, it's time to move from windows platform....

I realize there are many good sites which proffer advice but would your input...please

I am 30 yr + user of wintel environment..relatively well versed in technology and use my pc's for blogging, some photo-editing work as a hobby (Photoshop etc), readers (ie Agent etc), financial record keeping (Quicken/investment trackers)...

also any good aides out there for transferring extensive amount of files (500 GB+)...

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    30 yrs+ Windows experience? What? You realize Windows will just be having it's 21st birthday in a few months, right?

To answer your question, Dell makes a 24" for $800...

I'd still probably recommend the iMac. It's just so freaking cheap for what you get. You can upgrade the RAM and (just in the 24") the graphics card, so you should be set. I don't know if you can upgrade the CPU or not, but you can in the mini and the Pro, so I'm assuming you can in the iMac.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Ok so I included dos etc in the 30 yr+ experience....

Based on the dearth of answers including yours ( NON- Apple display information requested). I'll continue my online search instead....
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Well, considering that even Dell's option is now only about $200 or so cheaper, good luck with that :P

Also, MS-DOS is still only 25 years old.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    IMHO, I'd get a display that supports HDCP and can double as a HDTV monitor. Apple's currently don't, and you certainly can't do it with an iMac.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    In looking for a display that supports HDCP and HDTV, the current configuration of graphics cards available for the MacPro doesn't seem to currently support HDCP; ATI X1900 XT specs site says

"Currently there is no commercially available HDCP content. ATI's Radeon® X and Radeon® 9550 series of GPUs are capable of processing HDCP signals ("HDCP ready"), however ATI does not presently manufacture any graphics cards which are HDCP ready. Some third parties manufacture graphics cards containing ATI GPUs -- you can inquire of them which models, if any, -- are HDCP ready."

am I missing something here... which graphics card for MacPro would satisfy my need to support a HDCP and HDTV ready/compliant monitor?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Um, the Mac Pro's graphics card isn't going to influence whether the monitor can be used as an HDTV or not...
  • Reply 7 of 8
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by limekiln

In looking for a display that supports HDCP and HDTV, the current configuration of graphics cards available for the MacPro doesn't seem to currently support HDCP

Why would it?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    limekiln:

Check out HP's L2335. It got a better rating than Apples 23" monitor and it's cheaper than ever these days. Plus, it can pivot from portrait to landscape orientation.

http://www.macworld.com/2005/02/revi...hlcd/index.php