Viewing an iPhoto DVD on a PC

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hoping someone can help: I just spent a few weeks on vacation with my sis and her husband, and my brother-in-law burned all thier photos to DVD; now, our little iBook doesn't have a DVD player, and my work PC has a DVD player but can't read the disk; short of buying a new Mac, is there a solution to my problem?

Or, should I just hope that the MBP upgrade is announced next week and they are shipping with 24-hours?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Hmm.... there are a couple of possibilities...

Is the disc a slideshow disc that plays in a standalone DVD player (like the one hooked up to your TV)? If it is, you aren't getting any photos off of it onto your computer.

If, on the other hand, the disc is a data disc (I'll bet this is what it is) and it was burned in iPhoto (who knows?), you should be able to read it on a PC DVD-ROM drive and get the files out. After this you can burn a couple of CD's and then put the pictures on the iBook if you'd like.

Short of buying a new computer, if the above does not apply, you could purchase an external DVD-ROM drive for your iBook. If you are clever, you should be able to find one for under a hundred bucks. I'd suggest a firewire drive, though if you're using one of the original clamshell iBooks, you are pretty much out of luck (only one generation of those had firewire as an option).

If none of this helps you, all I can say is enjoy your new MBP.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by flinch13

If none of this helps you, all I can say is enjoy your new MBP.

I have done a little research, and have leanred there is a difference between DVD-R and DVD+R; our iBook can only read the DVD-R. I think I will have make a pilgrimage up to the publishing people that work in our building and see what they're running.

thanks for the help.